Maybe all eggs weren't dropped?

Bribri21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my male is super light in color, and it might be just me but his pouch area seems to be getting bigger despite dropping their eggs during mating.

image.jpg

image.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read where they can get an Infection in their pouch...but I have no experience with it....

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he a little more secretive and less active? Most males are when carrying fry. He looks pregnant to me as well.
However if he is still trying to impress his mate he could be inflating his pouch.

OP
OP
Bribri21

Bribri21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He still does come out to eat when I throw food in, but yea, he stays low and hides behind rocks Other than feeding time.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you doing with the off spring, we have tried a few times but they all died off
That is a very common experience the first few times of trying to raise fry. It can help to select only the largest and most robust of the fry and only attempt to raise them. Also the fry and their food must be kept meticulously clean and everything must be sterilized regularly.

OP
OP
Bribri21

Bribri21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply, the fry all died at the 3 and a half week mark. I wasn't ready for the fry, so they didn't receive any food on the first day which might have been fatal. I also couldn't keep up with the feeding which was bad. They eat so much so fast. Probably going to set up more than 3 hatcheries next time.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply, the fry all died at the 3 and a half week mark. I wasn't ready for the fry, so they didn't receive any food on the first day which might have been fatal. I also couldn't keep up with the feeding which was bad. They eat so much so fast. Probably going to set up more than 3 hatcheries next time.
Don't let that discourage you. Hopefully with experience you will have better results as you go along. Most folks experience a learning curve. Raising less fry helped me. Choose the biggest most robust babies and work with less. That way you can really focus on keeping them fed and clean. You can give the rest of the fry away.

OP
OP
Bribri21

Bribri21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will try that, I was thinking of separating into groups in smaller tanks like a 2 gal since I put all fry in a 10 gal this time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back