McNeils assessor basslet

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have one of these fish because I really like the way the body of the fish is and I love blue!! I've seen people saying that there dull in color since I've been researching about them yesterday and this morning so I want to ask on here how they look and if there aggressive because I have a mandarin dragonet in the tank so can anyone help me out with this?? Also I have kessil lighting and I keep my lights on the blue side so will this affect being able to see it good?? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have one of these fish because I really like the way the body of the fish is and I love blue!! I've seen people saying that there dull in color since I've been researching about them yesterday and this morning so I want to ask on here how they look and if there aggressive because I have a mandarin dragonet in the tank so can anyone help me out with this?? Also I have kessil lighting and I keep my lights on the blue side so will this affect being able to see it good?? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Nothing would really want to bother a dragonet. In the animal world if something is usually of great color. It is more of a warning to others not to mess with it. I have a flame angel and introduced the green mandarin after. The flame never even bothered him for a second. Any other fish added. You bet your butt he bothers them.
I have seen the black/blue/McNeill's assecor basslets before. I did like the color of them also. They do not get very big at all. Seemed pretty peaceful. The upside down swimming thing always freaks me out.
I have owned a Swissguard Basslet. I see online about the Basslets being semi-aggressive. To be honest I never seen any aggressive behavior. In fact my basslet was the perfect tank mate. The only thing I could see him being aggressive to was food. Not that he was aggressive to other fish trying to eat at the same time, but it would laser target lock on to the food and make a fast grab at it like any other fish would since they love food so much haha. If you have a 30g+ tank and all you have is a mandarin. Definitely pull the trigger and get one. He will not have to compete at all for food. So he will be happy! Your mandarin will hit the rock work around where the basslet resides and probably not bother it at all when it is under their over hang/cave.
On a side note. If you have ANY ornamental shrimp, like a sexy or peppermint shrimp. They will make a snack of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a couple of peppermint shrimp because I had a little bit of aiptasia in my tank but I'm pretty sure that they got it all so if the fish were to eat them then it is what it is I guess!! I have a pair of clownfish and the dragonet and I'm planning on getting some kind of wrasse and it's a 46 gallon bowfront tank with a 15 gallon sump so I should definitely be fine on the size because different websites say that they only need a 30 gallon tank. But I don't plan on getting a bunch of fish because I'm mainly doing a reef tank with a few small fish.. Thanks for answering me so fast because normally it takes a little bit to get an answer!! But if anyone else has anymore information about this fish please let me know thanks!!

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a couple of peppermint shrimp because I had a little bit of aiptasia in my tank but I'm pretty sure that they got it all so if the fish were to eat them then it is what it is I guess!! I have a pair of clownfish and the dragonet and I'm planning on getting some kind of wrasse and it's a 46 gallon bowfront tank with a 15 gallon sump so I should definitely be fine on the size because different websites say that they only need a 30 gallon tank. But I don't plan on getting a bunch of fish because I'm mainly doing a reef tank with a few small fish.. Thanks for answering me so fast because normally it takes a little bit to get an answer!! But if anyone else has anymore information about this fish please let me know thanks!!
Seems like a good pickup pending on how territorial your clown pair is. My clown and basslet were inseparable best friends. When the basslet passed. I was glad the clown did too, because I couldn't take seeing him so sad everyday in his corner twitching after he realized after the 2 days the basslet had passed. He would search the tank for him like where is my best friend! They slept together every night.

IMG_20170503_092742.jpg

Osteoclast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the yellow assessors and it is a great fish. Peaceful and hardy. Swims upside down a fair amount. I plan to add more to my reef. Good luck.

Fishguywc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two Randell’s Assessors for just about 18 months in a 40B (soon moving to a 75G) really beautiful and interesting fish to watch. I bought them both at the same time and they were juveniles. They have been model citizens and actually a bit timid, i’ve never seen them go after any of the other fish, they do occasionally nip at each other but nothing serious. Make sure you have cave’s/hiding places they like to hang out near my rock work. I did find they were picky eating and for me they only ate brine initially for a while, they now have very slowly started going after some of the other offerings

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An exceedingly peaceful species. It won't bother anything in the tank.

They are too small to bother the peppermint shrimp.

They hide at first but eventually get quite bold.

For a small fish they are quite long lived.

I have found that the blue is not a bright blue. If there is a black background they can be hard to spot.

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a black background on the tank but I already ordered it and I run blue kessil lights but hopefully I can see it and if not I guess I'll have to get another tank then!![emoji3][emoji3]

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back