....Me and my AIM....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is one of those moments I've been waiting for, for so many years now. Almost magical, like a page has turned. It hasn't really settled in yet I don't think. I've had the KH guardian on the main system since day one, and it's been remarkable, saving me time and money not spent on test kits. I love it really.

But, it wasn't until this morning, that I finally got the AIM module hooked into the Apex. And let me just say, looking at those three letters on my phone, right there with all the rest of my abbreviated friends, is by far one of the most satisfying feeling I've had in along time. Almost like it completes some epic quest. Just like that.

I remember wishful, blissfull, discussions not so very long ago, about how the technology to create an alk measuring tool for aquariums would be hundreds of thousands of dollars, and far out of reach any time soon to us.

Hats off to smart people, who invent usefully gizmos! Keep up the good work!!!

Screenshot 2018-04-20 09.22.15.png

Here's a shot of the module as well

Screenshot 2018-04-20 11.11.10.png

Last edited:

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

One day, perhaps. I just got pH and Temp monitoring a few months ago :)

AIM?

I'm an industrial software engineer. The primary software package I'm responsible for at the moment is called AIM. Automated Ingredient Management. It's a batch management system designed for the baking industry. Runs in large scale commercial bakeries all over the world.

Funny thing about that name... I'm a pretty serious firearms enthusiast. Pro2A activist, collector, competitor, instructor... I suppose the impolite term would be 'gun nut'. Anyway, a 'gun nut' that authored and maintains a software product called AIM. Weird, huh :) Last product I managed was called the 'Bullet'. Used to have one called Revolver, and one called Scout. Funny how that works out :)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
:)

One day, perhaps. I just got pH and Temp monitoring a few months ago :)

AIM?

I'm an industrial software engineer. The primary software package I'm responsible for at the moment is called AIM. Automated Ingredient Management. It's a batch management system designed for the baking industry. Runs in large scale commercial bakeries all over the world.

Funny thing about that name... I'm a pretty serious firearms enthusiast. Pro2A activist, collector, competitor, instructor... I suppose the impolite term would be 'gun nut'. Anyway, a 'gun nut' that authored and maintains a software product called AIM. Weird, huh :) Last product I managed was called the 'Bullet'. Used to have one called Revolver, and one called Scout. Funny how that works out :)

Classic! in this case AIM Stands for advanced interface module.

Screenshot 2018-04-20 11.11.10.png

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it's amazing adam and thanks for sharing. I've been using the alkatronic (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/announcement-my-own-builded-kh-machine-is-ready.278352/) that our own r2r member @JonasRoman put together and is supporting and just like you said, it's amazing seeing the alkalinity but more importantly the stability and peace of mind. Jonas has been doing an amazing job taking customer feedback and actually implementing it into the unit with new updates and always available near-instant support.

do you have one unit and just the monitor or controller?

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see what it is now. I don't have an apex so wasn't sure if you were measuring alk with the guardian and just inputting it on the apex. I see that it's doing it for you now.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome,. It's already been asked but it yours set to monitor only? I'm looking at picking one up, one of the current options at least, and wondering how that will work in conjunction with my ca reactor. Do you just use it to monitor and then adjust your ca reactor effluent or ph?

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's awesome,. It's already been asked but it yours set to monitor only? I'm looking at picking one up, one of the current options at least, and wondering how that will work in conjunction with my ca reactor. Do you just use it to monitor and then adjust your ca reactor effluent or ph?
with the alkatronic they provide you with a controllable outlet and based on thresholds it will shut off or turn on to control alkalinity dosing. if using a doser, plug in your doser into it. this keeps all levels nice and stable within your determined thresholds.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
it's amazing adam and thanks for sharing. I've been using the alkatronic (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/announcement-my-own-builded-kh-machine-is-ready.278352/) that our own r2r member @JonasRoman put together and is supporting and just like you said, it's amazing seeing the alkalinity but more importantly the stability and peace of mind. Jonas has been doing an amazing job taking customer feedback and actually implementing it into the unit with new updates and always available near-instant support.

do you have one unit and just the monitor or controller?

I am only using it as a monitor. My reactor is finely tuned.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So finely tuned he only had a 1 dKH jump today... ;)

That spike was actually the moment i hooked the aim up. The previous reading was a bad ph probe lol. This module plugs into the apex PH port. I figured I really don't need to monitor Ph anyway. Especially with a bad probe

Screenshot 2018-04-20 14.56.22.png

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Premium aquatics has them. just a penny under a hundred dollars

I got excited there for a second then I figured out that the $100 thingy is just the part that makes the $1300 thingy talk to the apex... makes more sense now... I was thinking, that’s awfully cheap... the prble alone should be close to that much...

Oh well, back to waiting for the trident to come out...

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got excited there for a second then I figured out that the $100 thingy is just the part that makes the $1300 thingy talk to the apex... makes more sense now... I was thinking, that’s awfully cheap... the prble alone should be close to that much...

Oh well, back to waiting for the trident to come out...

Ah shoot man Yeah Im starting to realize that I could have done a way better job explains what this thing actually was in my original post.

i should add and edit up there to help clarify a ,little

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah shoot man Yeah Im starting to realize that I could have done a way better job explains what this thing actually was in my original post.

i should add and edit up there to help clarify a ,little

It’s not really a big deal, i went back and read it again and I see where you said you had the KH guardian from day 1 now... I just got excited there for a minute... it sounded too good to be true... and as the saying goes: things that sound too good to be true usually are...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back