Mean gorgonian or overly dramatic toadstool?

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not certain of the species but I have a photosynthetic gorgonian (described only as Gold Plume Sea Fan) that seems to have done some damage to a toadstool. It had one of it's long flexible branches knocked into a toadstool twice, sticking to to the toadstool (I've since relocated the gorgonian). This initially left some polyps on the toadstool looking almost burned, as if someone had taken a match to them. In the weeks that followed the incidents, the damaged toadstool polyps died completely, leaving multiple holes in the toadstool. The toadstool seems healthy in spite of this and is now fully open around the holes.

I usually see gorgonians described as peaceful but do their polyps contain stinging cells that can damage other corals on contact or was this just a toadstool overreacting to being touched?

gorgonian.jpg

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like non-photosynthetic to me with those huge polyps.
No stingers to my knowledge and mine bother no one.

Thanks for the reply. I got the gorgonian from Tidal Gardens last October and was listed as photosynthetic but of course that doesn't guarantee anything. Just wanted to double check for any sort of gorgonian specific allelopathy as I consider the best new spot for it in the tank. It's so flexible that it's easy for it to end up in contact with other corals.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonians can be vicious. Yes, it can damage your toadstool or any coral. And yes, it looks like a photo synthetic species..

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonians can be vicious. Yes, it can damage your toadstool or any coral. And yes, it looks like a photo synthetic species..

Thank you for the reply! Such an unassuming looking coral. It's now at the opposite end of the tank from the toadstool. I'm suddenly glad it's been slow to grow!

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple frilly gorgonian, it has similar polyps (Not quite as big, but its not a very big coral yet). It hasn't show aggression, but I've read they can be mean to others nearby. Mine is planted on a rock by itself and my clownfish do nothing but annoy it to heck.

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple frilly gorgonian, it has similar polyps (Not quite as big, but its not a very big coral yet). It hasn't show aggression, but I've read they can be mean to others nearby. Mine is planted on a rock by itself and my clownfish do nothing but annoy it to heck.

Funny you say this. I used to have it on an island near the spot where my clowns hang out and they chewed the top off it. Moved about 6" away and they forgot all about it but then we had the incident with the toadstool. Now it's on it's own rock. Probably what it wanted all along!

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say this. I used to have it on an island near the spot where my clowns hang out and they chewed the top off it. Moved about 6" away and they forgot all about it but then we had the incident with the toadstool. Now it's on it's own rock. Probably what it wanted all along!
I've moved mine twice, clowns just follow it. They haven't been nipping on it though, I only have a 32g tank so ran out of room. Figured now as long as it's healthy no harm in it. Hah.

velvetelvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from this picture, but IMO this may be an Antillogorgia (formerly Pseudogorgia) species. These are photosynthetic gorgonians from the Caribbean. They're often referred to as "plume" gorgonians.

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like non-photosynthetic to me with those huge polyps.
No stingers to my knowledge and mine bother no one.
I have a gorg with polyps the size of anthelia. Its usually easy to tell the difference, just use a identification guide

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back