Mecolds 34g nano

mecold

Oh I wish I were an......
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so after a hiatus, I am back into the hobby. My old tank had gotten neglected and started to go downhill fast. Not to mention it was a poorly planned eyesore. Functional yes, but ugly.

This time, I decided to plan an actual tank budget. Last time the budget was my credit limit :) As well as have an equipment plan. So far, I have been religous in sticking to my plan.

Details:

Tank and stand - Current-USA Solana
Light - Current-USA sunpod 150
Skimmer - Stock solana (for now)
Powerheads - 2 seio 620's
Calcium reactor - korallin 1502

Planned upgrades:

Kalk reactor
Tunze ato
Euroreef nano skimmer (if it's ever released)
controllable powerheads

Planned inhabitants:

Sps dominated with zoas (of course) and a few select lps
Fish - yellow coris wrasse, melanarus wrasse, dwarf golden eel, maybe a clown

OP
OP
M

mecold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank was started on 3/11/08 with rock that had been curing for 6 weeks. I haven't taken a ton of pictures other than these. First one is to illustrate the algea bloom before I added a cleaning crew. The other is an overall shot. The tanks inhabitants are 5 banded trochus and 6 "strombus grazers". I am picking up a frag or two of a few of my old zoas that I was able to save, as well as a sacrificial sps frag tomorrow.

24MAR08.jpg

27mar08.jpg

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby Paul! I have some zoa frags for you whenever you're ready. :)

OP
OP
M

mecold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I actually still have access to a few of the zoa that you and pazazz sent. Thankfully zoas are much hardier than acros. If I can find them in my friends tank, I will be able to get the alien explosions back too.

ct_vol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize you had taken a break... :( Glad you're back though... I know that tank will be packed soon enough...

limestro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back Paul! Keep the pics coming. =) Looking good so far. LMK when you ready I'll have some frags for you.

~Mike

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats a sweet/sleek tank! Glad to have you back cant wait for more. :D

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back!!! When are the first corals going in? What light are u running in that sunpod?

OP
OP
M

mecold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is using a sunpod 150hqi for now. If it needs it, I will make an arm to hang a pendant from and upgrade to a 250w lumenbright.

The first corals will be added today :) They will be some of the old palys that I had. I think there will be some AOG, nuclear green, purple death, mohawks, armageddons, sponge bobs, and some aquatic fantaseas (?). I will also add a sps frag to see how it does.

The overall plan for the tank is to pick only my favorite corals (as if I could limit myself) and let them grow out to fill the tank.

Thanks everyone for the greeting!

Chris,
I still haven't forgot about that frag I owe you :) I just have had a hard time locating the PHE's. But, I promise to hook you up with something equally nice once things start growing.

OP
OP
M

mecold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I added 10 frags today. Once things get settled in, I will get some pics. The mohawks didn't look like they were healthy enough for fragging, so none yet. Also couldn't find the alien explosions. Maybe I can pick some more up from another local friend.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Paul.. what are the new additions?

I saw one colored stick :hammer:

and a few nice colored z's and p's... :)

OP
OP
M

mecold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see, zoas are Armor of god, cats eye, purple death, nuclear green, rainbow paly, sponge bobs and aquatic fantaseas. The colored stick is an acropora hyacinthus that I had in my old tank. It is probably common, but I really like it. Thankfully, these frags have survived. There may be one or two other zoas in the tank that my friends got from me, but these represent most of them.

As for sps, those are coming soon :) I just have to pick my favorites to put in the tank. I know that there will be a pink lemonade, atlantis pink lemonade, ponape birdsnest, sunset monti, and a purple unknown in the tank for sure.

OP
OP
M

mecold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I decided to switch the sunpod to a 250hqi. Not that the tank "needed" me to, but for my peace of mind. everything is doing great so far. I hooked up an azoo 2 fan unit to a medusa dual stage controller that is keeping the tank temp steady at 78. Also, I added a rainbow acan enchanita from a friends tank since they are tearing their tank down in preparations for a move.

Here are the new pics:

100_01481.jpg

100_01411.jpg

100_01461.jpg

100_01441.jpg

OP
OP
M

mecold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been a little lax on the updates :) I have added a few new acros to the tank. Also learned a lesson on using tmpcc. Do not leave your acros in the solution for an hour! I lost three acros due to such a long dip.

Enough with the negatives, here is the tank. Sorry if the pics aren't great.

1 month ago:

100_02411.jpg

psellers purple mystery (like a purple monster, but nicer! From a local club member) Got the true le purple monster too, but I like this more.

100_02401.jpg

Ora duncan and sunset monti (sunset is not happy from the long dip)

100_02381.jpg

A sweet monti that I picked up from a lfs. Nothing special. I love it though!

100_02391.jpg

OP
OP
M

mecold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning, I woke up to see this:

100_03121.jpg

Then I saw this:

100_03101.jpg

If you look close you will see the lower snail spawning:

100_02981.jpg

I know this happens all of the time in others tanks, and most likely has happened in this tank as I have a ton of baby trochus snail that are growing quickly. This is the first time I have ever seen it though. Good thing to as I would have been very worried about a cloudy tank if I had not seen it happening!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back