Media reactor question

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When does one use a media reactor with hang on brackets instead of say a hob or canister filter

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When does one use a media reactor with hang on brackets instead of say a hob or canister filter
Yeah good question...I’m trying to justify a “reactor” for $100 (NTM plumbing and diverting part of my rtn pumps output!) ...VS $100 for a true “ole skool” HOB or canister...
I swear the whole “reactor” thing is bcuz all the red pumbing under the tank looks cool (and it does) ha ha

chris k.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought a reactor with its own pump and plumbing. Can stand alone or hob. Works great . From Amazon

AQUATOP MR-20 Multimedia Reactor with Pump

1. AQUATOP MR-20 Multimedia Reactor with Pump

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some people use hob style rectors due to space constraints. I think your setup will dictate what you can use. Some people have no space at all for reactors and use mesh bags or place media in filter socks etc. Also there is matter of preference as well. Build it like you like it.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While canister filters work fine if kept clean, the amount of media they hold is limited. If you wish to run carbon and gfo then you might not have enough room in the canister for much of both along with all the filtering media.. A media reactor can give you more space.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah good question...I’m trying to justify a “reactor” for $100 (NTM plumbing and diverting part of my rtn pumps output!) ...VS $100 for a true “ole skool” HOB or canister...
I swear the whole “reactor” thing is bcuz all the red pumbing under the tank looks cool (and it does) ha ha

Just watch a BRS video on reactors and how effective they are, you'll change your attitude.

They are 100% effective when used properly, and way more efficient then a canister, or HOB filter which has very limited room for media.

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watch a BRS video on reactors and how effective they are, you'll change your attitude.

They are 100% effective when used properly, and way more efficient then a canister, or HOB filter which has very limited room for media.

Can you put more than one type of media in there?

See I’m almost at the start up point for my first saltwater/FOWLR and I wish I knew if I truly need mechanical filtration. I hear some guys don’t need it but I plan on having a puffer and I think I can benefit from the mechanical filtration.

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up an aquamaxx hob reactor. I’m gonna use a hob for mechanical filter and live rock for bio.

I’ll take pics when it comes. I got it from reef supplies

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back