Media Reactor Trouble

scottj6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using a BRS media reactor and went to change out the media for the first time. I turned off the reactor pump and started twisting the canister off and got water all over the inside of my stand. What is the best way to change out the media and keep things dry while doing so?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off pump. Tilt reactor to drain off some of the water into the tank/sump. Disconnect input line off reactor. Walk to sink and drain off water. Open reactor and discard media. Rinse out. Refill with new (and rinsed) media. Fill reactor with fresh saltwater. Screw top on. Plug pump back into reactor.
Done.

Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using a BRS media reactor and went to change out the media for the first time. I turned off the reactor pump and started twisting the canister off and got water all over the inside of my stand. What is the best way to change out the media and keep things dry while doing so?

I use a pan under the canister. I go slow, waiting for air to get into line to break siphon before I pull it all the way off.

okay - his is better description than mine I'd started to write - it just lacks the safety plastic tray I also use lol
Turn off pump. Tilt reactor to drain off some of the water into the tank/sump. Disconnect input line off reactor. Walk to sink and drain off water. Open reactor and discard media. Rinse out. Refill with new (and rinsed) media. Fill reactor with fresh saltwater. Screw top on. Plug pump back into reactor.
Done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

scottj6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reactor is inside my stand that has no sump. I have an AIO box in the tank that the lines are fed to. Is it possible there is a back siphon from the output? Why disconnect the input line?

Upvote 0

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reactor is inside my stand that has no sump. I have an AIO box in the tank that the lines are fed to. Is it possible there is a back siphon from the output? Why disconnect the input line?
If you were concerned about a siphon, then you wouldn't be opening the reactor underneath the tank in the first place.
If you take away anything, then understand that the best option is to NOT open the reactor inside your stand. Use a pan as suggested, or whatever other method you choose, but take the reactor to a sink and open it. That is the safest and easiest way to do this.

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to assume your reactor is under the tank in the stand?

It's a simple siphon. Put a shutoff on the input line. Thats what i did when I had a biocube.

Upvote 0

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to assume your reactor is under the tank in the stand?

It's a simple siphon. Put a shutoff on the input line. Thats what i did when I had a biocube.

Pretty sure the BRS reactors come with the ball valve.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

scottj6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were concerned about a siphon, then you wouldn't be opening the reactor underneath the tank in the first place.
If you take away anything, then understand that the best option is to NOT open the reactor inside your stand. Use a pan as suggested, or whatever other method you choose, but take the reactor to a sink and open it. That is the safest and easiest way to do this.
I understand what you are saying but thats the only option. Theres no way I could pull the lines through and take everything to the sink

Upvote 0

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you are saying but thats the only option. Theres no way I could pull the lines through and take everything to the sink
You don't have to pull any lines. Like another person said, just put a ball valve on each line. Close the valves, disconnect the media reactor from the lines and take just the reactor to the sink to drain/empty.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

scottj6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to pull any lines. Like another person said, just put a ball valve on each line. Close the valves, disconnect the media reactor from the lines and take just the reactor to the sink to drain/empty.
Exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks everyone for your help

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back