Media Reactor Trouble

  • Thread starter Thread starter scottj6
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

scottj6

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 7, 2013
Messages
99
Reaction score
93
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using a BRS media reactor and went to change out the media for the first time. I turned off the reactor pump and started twisting the canister off and got water all over the inside of my stand. What is the best way to change out the media and keep things dry while doing so?
 
Turn off pump. Tilt reactor to drain off some of the water into the tank/sump. Disconnect input line off reactor. Walk to sink and drain off water. Open reactor and discard media. Rinse out. Refill with new (and rinsed) media. Fill reactor with fresh saltwater. Screw top on. Plug pump back into reactor.
Done.
 
Upvote 0
I started using a BRS media reactor and went to change out the media for the first time. I turned off the reactor pump and started twisting the canister off and got water all over the inside of my stand. What is the best way to change out the media and keep things dry while doing so?

I use a pan under the canister. I go slow, waiting for air to get into line to break siphon before I pull it all the way off.

okay - his is better description than mine I'd started to write - it just lacks the safety plastic tray I also use lol
Turn off pump. Tilt reactor to drain off some of the water into the tank/sump. Disconnect input line off reactor. Walk to sink and drain off water. Open reactor and discard media. Rinse out. Refill with new (and rinsed) media. Fill reactor with fresh saltwater. Screw top on. Plug pump back into reactor.
Done.
 
Upvote 0
The reactor is inside my stand that has no sump. I have an AIO box in the tank that the lines are fed to. Is it possible there is a back siphon from the output? Why disconnect the input line?
 
Upvote 0
The reactor is inside my stand that has no sump. I have an AIO box in the tank that the lines are fed to. Is it possible there is a back siphon from the output? Why disconnect the input line?
If you were concerned about a siphon, then you wouldn't be opening the reactor underneath the tank in the first place.
If you take away anything, then understand that the best option is to NOT open the reactor inside your stand. Use a pan as suggested, or whatever other method you choose, but take the reactor to a sink and open it. That is the safest and easiest way to do this.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If you were concerned about a siphon, then you wouldn't be opening the reactor underneath the tank in the first place.
If you take away anything, then understand that the best option is to NOT open the reactor inside your stand. Use a pan as suggested, or whatever other method you choose, but take the reactor to a sink and open it. That is the safest and easiest way to do this.
I understand what you are saying but thats the only option. Theres no way I could pull the lines through and take everything to the sink
 
Upvote 0
I understand what you are saying but thats the only option. Theres no way I could pull the lines through and take everything to the sink
You don't have to pull any lines. Like another person said, just put a ball valve on each line. Close the valves, disconnect the media reactor from the lines and take just the reactor to the sink to drain/empty.
 
Upvote 0
You don't have to pull any lines. Like another person said, just put a ball valve on each line. Close the valves, disconnect the media reactor from the lines and take just the reactor to the sink to drain/empty.
Exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks everyone for your help
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new