Medicated quarantine tank with macro algae

Coralnotquarrel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have tons of clean ulva in my refugium and now setting up a quarantine tank with copper power. Saw the brs series where they use copper and then replace all water every 3 days to keep ammonia down as there's no bio filter as copper and antibiotics may kill? Carbon may soak up the copper and abx?

Has anyone set up a medicated quarantine with enough macroalgae to soak up the ammonia so the water changes not so drastic?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have tons of clean ulva in my refugium and now setting up a quarantine tank with copper power. Saw the brs series where they use copper and then replace all water every 3 days to keep ammonia down as there's no bio filter as copper and antibiotics may kill? Carbon may soak up the copper and abx?

Has anyone set up a medicated quarantine with enough macroalgae to soak up the ammonia so the water changes not so drastic?

Well, properly done copper won’t nuke your biofilter, and some antibiotics won’t either, so a well established biofilter is your safest way to go.

Macro algae won’t efficiently manage ammonia in any event. These may have a bacterial biofilm on them that does though, kind of like using live rock….

Copper kills some types of algae…but I don’t know about macros.

Jay

OP
OP
C

Coralnotquarrel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, properly done copper won’t nuke your biofilter, and some antibiotics won’t either, so a well established biofilter is your safest way to go.

Macro algae won’t efficiently manage ammonia in any event. These may have a bacterial biofilm on them that does though, kind of like using live rock….

Copper kills some types of algae…but I don’t know about macros.

Jay
Thanks Jay. Really appreciate your explanation. Yes, it very well could be the biofilm!

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to add copper based algicide to my pool. Very effective killing microalgae. I would not risk adding copper to tank with macro algae.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently steralized my qt tank for a new round, and threw a bunch of chaeto and sea lettuce in it for food / shelter / ammonia control.

I had to start it off with a little DT water so they had some nutrients to keep them from melting, but with the macro algae being the only other addition from my DT, it stipped ammonia from showing up on a fresh seachem badge.

I am on day 12 and have no nitrogen coming out in any tests, but the tank gets some sunlight for the algae. On day 7 full copper and haven't had any melt. I have had sea lettuce disappear but it appears the flame angel eats it, not sure if thats the case, but if it is melting, the chaeto is soaking it back up.

At least I don't think it will hurt anything, but Jay knows way more than me, I only chimed in because I am actively doing it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back