Medications to keep on hand

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Melypr, i found a small ice cube tray that i want to free my food in. I want to unthaw fertility frenzy, add selcon, garlic, marine snow, and fuel, amd crunch some pellets for Zoas in it and freeze it and then just have the cubes

A lot of people make their own fish food and do it in a similar way. Just be wary of thawing and refreezing frozen options like that. It's never a good idea with our own food and for our fish's food. Maybe just break up the frozen cubes of fertility frenzy and add the smaller chunks to your mix right before freezing. I wouldn't add focus to this mix though- there doesn't seem to be a reason to. :)

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U think that would work with frozen? And if so idk if i have a blender to do that specific job that we dont use for human consumption?

Collinslice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U think that would work with frozen? And if so idk if i have a blender to do that specific job that we dont use for human consumption?
It would definitely chop it up, while still heating it a bit in the process. But much less than thawing it out right.

If you're already going through all the trouble, what's another 20$ on a cheap blender? At least that's how I'd look at it.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you say is the better treatment for worms prazi or general cure ?

Also what's the next best way for me to get cp since my vet will not hook me up

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you say is the better treatment for worms prazi or general cure ?

Also what's the next best way for me to get cp since my vet will not hook me up

I prefer General Cure, because it also contains metro for treating intestinal worms and it doesn't contain a solubilizing agent which can interact negatively with other medications. However, I've also used Prazipro in the past, and I have nothing negative to say about it.

Unfortunately, there is no way of obtaining reliable CP without a Rx. The lack of a practical test kit means you have to be sure the CP is 99% pure to expect it to work effectively.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok about to start GC do I mix it in a cup filled with qt water then put in qt or just add the powder to the qt ?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok about to start GC do I mix it in a cup filled with qt water then put in qt or just add the powder to the qt ?

I've done it both ways. If added direction to the QT make sure you do it in the turbulent water of the filter return to help mix it up quickly

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question (I seem to always find myself here every time I think about getting a fish). I'm getting a yellow watchman goby next week. Can I profelecticly treat the fish with copper safe? Or do I not need to QT goby? My usual regiment is coppersafe for a month and prazipro for a week. Should I stick to this plan with the goby or no? As always thak you so much for your answers.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question (I seem to always find myself here every time I think about getting a fish). I'm getting a yellow watchman goby next week. Can I profelecticly treat the fish with copper safe? Or do I not need to QT goby? My usual regiment is coppersafe for a month and prazipro for a week. Should I stick to this plan with the goby or no? As always thak you so much for your answers.

Yes stick to the plan.... unless you want to try TTM. All fish can carry ick into the tank, even those that arn't normally effected by it as much as other fish.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes stick to the plan.... unless you want to try TTM. All fish can carry ick into the tank, even those that arn't normally effected by it as much as other fish.
@melypr1985 what would us guys do without you and humblefish! Thank you so much for your answer. I still can't figure out which fish you can't treat with copper.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 what would us guys do without you and humblefish! Thank you so much for your answer. I still can't figure out which fish you can't treat with copper.

Your very welcome. Mostly scaleless fish like puffers, sharks, eels, mandarins ect. There are a few other fish that have been shown to be sensitive to copper as a general whole like wrasses & angels. These last two are mostly generalities and there are always exceptions to the rule.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. So when I get my wrasses I better check here again. I'll be sure to ask you questions. Sorry in advance. Lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Coppersafe with an API copper test kit
  • Prazipro
  • Seachem Kanaplex
  • Seachem Metroplex or Metro-MS (both are just as good)
  • Ruby Reef Rally (this product was worked well for me for both velvet & brook)

Just want to check to make sure that this is still a pretty good list since it is a bit older. I either have all of it now or have it on order. Anything else before I consider myself ready to start buying and quarantining fish?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to check to make sure that this is still a pretty good list since it is a bit older. I either have all of it now or have it on order. Anything else before I consider myself ready to start buying and quarantining fish?

I would probably add formalin to the list, as it seems to be more effective at clearing brook/velvet, and can also be used as an alternative treatment for prazi resistant external worms.

I also consider this to be a solid wide spectrum antibiotic: http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/NFP-products-Nitrofuracin-Green-59584.Item.html. Especially useful for treating new butterflyfish with red sores.

Back