Medications to keep on hand

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Humblefish, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Partner Member 2018

@Mfreddy Without a QT, your treatment options are limited to copper, praziquantel and food soaking antibiotics. Maybe herbal remedies as well, but the effectiveness of those is questionable.

The bacteria present in your DT will break down all other medications before they can provide any benefit to your fish.

melypr1985 likes this.

2. Mfreddy

Mfreddy Well-Known Member

Thanks Humble. Would you repeat the metro/kana/focus regimen, or go with Prazi? Prazi ok with the eel?

3. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor

If it were me, I'd remove everybody for treatment. I will say that I've dosed prazi with an eel present and it did well. I've only done that one time though, so it's hardly a ringing endorsement.

4. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Partner Member 2018

The only reason to use prazi is if you were noticing symptoms of flukes: Head twitching, yawning, scratching targeting the gill area.

5. Mfreddy

Thanks, Meredith. I don't have a QT, are you talking about a Prazi dip?

6. Humblefish

7. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor

Well, like I said, it's what I would do. I would go get a tank for QT even if I had to borrow one from a friend or local reefer. No, Prazi shouldn't be done in a dip, it needs more time than that to work for flukes. Like Humble said, the only reason to do it is if you suspect flukes or black ich.

Humblefish likes this.
  8. Mfreddy

I've been through flukes before, don't think that's it, and I've seen nothing like black ich on any of my fish. In fact, after looking at the pics Humble posted in the black ich thread, I think it was the stress induced HLLE that took down the purple tang.

Thanks to you and Meredith for being available

Humblefish and melypr1985 like this.
  9. Bluecbs

Bluecbs Well-Known Member

Btw, if your ammonia and nitrates are still off the chart, you can use seachem prime to render them nontoxic, less stress to the fish, you can even overdose in a situation like this, but plse read their directions on the dosage first........but skimmer may overflow with prime

10. Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I think PetCo is still running their $1 per gallon sale, so picking up a QT is pretty cheap right now. A heater, thermo, powerhead and filter are pretty cheap on Amazon (and fast if you have Prime). You could be setup with a 20G QT for well less than $100.

Humblefish likes this.
  11. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

It is important to remember you cannot use Prime in a tank with copper in it. It makes copper much more toxic and will kill the fish fairly quickly.

Guess how I know that... :(

melypr1985 and Humblefish like this.
  12. Bluecbs

Bluecbs Well-Known Member

Uh oh......but may we know how fishes react to that toxic....sory..if its not too painful...

13. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I happened so fast they just got lethargic and died in a matter of 2 to 3 hours. The worst part is I knew you couldn't put Prime in water treated with copper. What I didn't know was that my LFS kept their fish in water treated with copper.

Bluecbs and Humblefish like this.
  14. Dizzirn

Dizzirn Well-Known Member

Thank You so much for all your advise and help when we need it!!!

Humblefish likes this.
  15. Humblefish

Always my pleasure to work towards the day when our finned friends will no longer have to die from disease on such a large-scale. :)

BigJohnny likes this.
  16. makubex_05

makubex_05 New Member

Does someone know the dose of Praziquantel ? I cant find Prazipro here. Just Praziquantel 600 mg here.

Thanks for advice in advance

17. Brew12

Humblefish likes this.
  18. makubex_05

makubex_05 New Member

Brew12 and Humblefish like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted