OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mfreddy Without a QT, your treatment options are limited to copper, praziquantel and food soaking antibiotics. Maybe herbal remedies as well, but the effectiveness of those is questionable.

The bacteria present in your DT will break down all other medications before they can provide any benefit to your fish.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Humble. Would you repeat the metro/kana/focus regimen, or go with Prazi? Prazi ok with the eel?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Humble. Would you repeat the metro/kana/focus regimen, or go with Prazi? Prazi ok with the eel?

If it were me, I'd remove everybody for treatment. I will say that I've dosed prazi with an eel present and it did well. I've only done that one time though, so it's hardly a ringing endorsement.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only reason to use prazi is if you were noticing symptoms of flukes: Head twitching, yawning, scratching targeting the gill area.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd remove everybody for treatment. I will say that I've dosed prazi with an eel present and it did well. I've only done that one time though, so it's hardly a ringing endorsement.

Thanks, Meredith. I don't have a QT, are you talking about a Prazi dip?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Meredith. I don't have a QT, are you talking about a Prazi dip?

Well, like I said, it's what I would do. I would go get a tank for QT even if I had to borrow one from a friend or local reefer. No, Prazi shouldn't be done in a dip, it needs more time than that to work for flukes. Like Humble said, the only reason to do it is if you suspect flukes or black ich.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been through flukes before, don't think that's it, and I've seen nothing like black ich on any of my fish. In fact, after looking at the pics Humble posted in the black ich thread, I think it was the stress induced HLLE that took down the purple tang.

Thanks to you and Meredith for being available

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, if your ammonia and nitrates are still off the chart, you can use seachem prime to render them nontoxic, less stress to the fish, you can even overdose in a situation like this, but plse read their directions on the dosage first........but skimmer may overflow with prime

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DO NOT HAVE A QUARANTINE TANK

I think PetCo is still running their $1 per gallon sale, so picking up a QT is pretty cheap right now. A heater, thermo, powerhead and filter are pretty cheap on Amazon (and fast if you have Prime). You could be setup with a 20G QT for well less than $100.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, if your ammonia and nitrates are still off the chart, you can use seachem prime to render them nontoxic, less stress to the fish, you can even overdose in a situation like this, but plse read their directions on the dosage first........but skimmer may overflow with prime
It is important to remember you cannot use Prime in a tank with copper in it. It makes copper much more toxic and will kill the fish fairly quickly.

Guess how I know that... :(

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh......but may we know how fishes react to that toxic....sory..if its not too painful...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh......but may we know how fishes react to that toxic....sory..if its not too painful...
I happened so fast they just got lethargic and died in a matter of 2 to 3 hours. The worst part is I knew you couldn't put Prime in water treated with copper. What I didn't know was that my LFS kept their fish in water treated with copper.

Dizzirn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if I were to stock just the bare essentials in my fish medicine cabinet, they would be:
  • Coppersafe with an API copper test kit
  • Prazipro
  • Seachem Kanaplex or Nitrofuracin Green Powder
  • Seachem Metroplex or Metro-MS (both are just as good)
  • Ruby Reef Rally (this product was worked well for me for both velvet & brook)
  • Formalin-MS (more effective at clearing brook and can also be used on prazi resistant flukes & black ich)

This website provides A TON of information on many available aquarium medications: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Medication.html

Including Antibiotics: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication2.html

Antiparasitic & dewormers: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html

And even organic treatments (if you dare ;)): http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication4.html

Thank You so much for all your advise and help when we need it!!!

makubex_05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does someone know the dose of Praziquantel ? I cant find Prazipro here. Just Praziquantel 600 mg here.

Thanks for advice in advance

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Swimmingdork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you guys recommend to treat with Prazipro or General Cure as a preventative in a QT when getting new fish and corals? We are buying all of the bare essentials on the list that is recommended in this thread, but we are trying to decide between buying Prazipro or General Cure. I know that General Cure contains both metro and praziquantel, but is there anything that it won't get rid of that Prazipro will? Should I just buy both Prazipro and General Cure? Thank you in advance for the help.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you guys recommend to treat with Prazipro or General Cure as a preventative in a QT when getting new fish and corals? We are buying all of the bare essentials on the list that is recommended in this thread, but we are trying to decide between buying Prazipro or General Cure. I know that General Cure contains both metro and praziquantel, but is there anything that it won't get rid of that Prazipro will? Should I just buy both Prazipro and General Cure? Thank you in advance for the help.
I prefer using Prazipro and Metroplex separately and only treat with the Prazipro as a preventative. There are a few issues where the use of both of them can work better together. My opinion is that there are times where you may want to use Metro and not increase the risk of appetite suppressant that is common with Prazi.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back