Mehaffy's 1100+ gallon Plywood display in North Alabama

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started really putting together a stock list Of what I have and what I want and this is what I have so far. With this much tank its just hard to decide but I plan on adding slowly over the next 6-12 months so no hurry on anything.

I have these
Powder Brown
Potters Angel
Green Mandarin
2 Ocellaris Clown
6 Rose BTA

I would like
Hermits and snails
6-10 Blue/Green chromis
Naso Tang
Desjadini Sailfin
lieutenant Tang
Fowleri Tang
3-5 Pajama Cardinals
Lyretail Anthias
Yellowhead jawfish Maybe 2?
Yellow tang?
Firefish 6-10
Lawnmover Blenny

Maybe list
Powder Blue
Achillies Tang

Like many, I've been lurking on your thread for quite a while. I have a dream of building a large plywood system one day and your aquarium has been a great inspiration for that! It's been a lot of fun to watch everything come together.

I thought I would give my 0.02, and maybe there will be a few half decent ideas to help. For the rock structures, I really like the concept of having 3 islands, I think it will give you plenty of swimming room, 3d structure, and room to create a lot of flow. With that, one thing I like to think of when lighting large aquariums is where I plan to place corals, and what the best configuration for lighting will be. The nice thing about this aquarium is that that you don't need to illuminate the entire thing. You can tailor your lighting to be most intense where it is needed (I would suggest your MH fixtures be angled to cover each island if possible), other areas can be illuminated with simple LED fixtures where PAR is not necessarily needed (open sand space where there are no photosynthetic sessile invertebrates or corals).

Another thought would be adding more depth to the rockwork of each island. Thinking 3-4 years down the road with massive coral growth you'll want to make sure you have the room and strength in your rock structures to be able to withstand that coral growth.

For cable management I've used panduit wiring raceway in the past and it has been a dream when dealing with cable management. I think there are off brands that would be cheaper but it is 100% worth looking into for clean looking and easy cable management.

Last but not least, I think you have a great start to your stocking list! Fish are a ton of fun to think about, but I would also focus on what inverts you want to start with. I always suggest starting with copepods/amphipods/phyto dosing/sandbed worms/conch/etc. All the things that will help with the initial algal bloom and give you a great kickstart to the little guys that help the ecosystem move forward. (Aquaculture nursery farms and info pacific sea farms are both places I highly recommend and have ordered from many times, feel free to DM me if you have any questions about what they offer and what I would suggest :) )

A few fish I would suggest looking at:
- Vlamingi tang
- Dussumieri tang
- Any of the genicanthus angels (they're touted as the only true reef safe angels, my bias is towards Genicanthus melanospilos as I had a male/female pair in my 180)
- I would second scchase on shooting for larger schools of fish than what you're currently thinking. I've seen his tank in person and it's gigantic and the fish in it now are large but it still feels like it has a lot of space.
- midas blenny
- leopard wrasse pair
- citron gobies (once acros get large as they tend to lay eggs on the underside of branches)
- Royal gramma pair
- square back anthias (they get larger than the squampinnus anthias and are beautiful imo)
- tomini tang
- cleaner wrasse pair

That's all I have for now, I apologize for the tome! I can't wait to see this beast full.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sltloser
Those are good ideas and thanks for your input all input is welcome. For the rocks I still have a lot of rock to put in but need to wait for salt and also to get the tank temp up. About 300lbs or more. All of the rock I still have is established rock that has been in my system for years. The good thing is that rock also has pods. I also have a good amount of snails and hermits but will fore sure be ordering a lot more for this monster. I just looked at the Panduit and I will be ordering some of that just need to get things a little organized so I have a plan and know what to buy.

For lights I am not sure if I will be able to angle them but I'm sure there will be modifications to the lights and decisions about coral placement are figured out. I also have 5 Kessil 360X that I will be placing to highlight areas.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been out helping my Daughter get her house ready to sell so not alot today but a couple good news items.
A forum member let me borrow a 75 GPD RODI all I need to do was put in some fresh DI resin and so as of today my water output has doubled.
I also received an email from UPS that my 150GPD upgrade is scheduled to deliver Monday so once I have all that working I'll be producing over 200 GPD and this thing will get topped of in just a couple days. So should be full mid next week.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been out helping my Daughter get her house ready to sell so not alot today but a couple good news items.
A forum member let me borrow a 75 GPD RODI all I need to do was put in some fresh DI resin and so as of today my water output has doubled.
I also received an email from UPS that my 150GPD upgrade is scheduled to deliver Monday so once I have all that working I'll be producing over 200 GPD and this thing will get topped of in just a couple days. So should be full mid next week.
Happy to do it and I am glad it is working for you!
Get that thing filled!!!

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think triggers are only dangerous to inverts. Our blue throat hasn't bothered any of our inverts.
Our magnificent foxface hasn't touched any corals either. Granted we only have 3 small corals. Of course I keep the tank fat and happy.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water level in tank is up to 18" so officially over 1/2 full. The RODI upgrade kit is supposed to be here tomorrow so once that is working I should be able to complete the fill in just a couple of days as I will be producing over 200 GPD.
I did install new cooling fans in one of my MH x T5 fixtures today. I had already put new fans in the other one because it needed new ballast so I did the fans at the same time. When I was doing some testing I realized that the cooling fans in the other unit were not working so I replaced the today.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did receive the RODI upgrade kit on Monday so I am making a lot more water. The water is now over 24” deep ( I should’ve just made a 24” tall tank it would be full) I am past the 2/3rds mark and this thing should be full and ready to add salt by the weekend.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished the tile floor work I was doing for my daughter and now I can get back to my project. The water is now about 25" deep so I have around 750-800 gallons of water. which is well over 5000lbs. Everything is looking great so far Zero deflection that I can measure and No leaks :)
i just added in a 800 watt heater to start getting the temp up. Its about 60deg right now. The water is just starting to reach the WAV pumps so about 1 more day and I will have the ability to get water moving around. Once that happens I can start adding salt and continue to raise temp.
Now I have to decide how I am going to move the real live rock and the fish. They are currently in the sump so if I want to do a full water plumbing test I will need to move them into Brute cans or buy another Rubbermaid 100 gallon Stock tank for temp housing. Ideally I would like to have the entire system circulating and the drains balanced for a couple of days before I start adding live stuff. Then thought is add most of the rock and wait a few days and then add fish.
Any suggestions on how I should make this move? I currently have everything in about 125 gallons of water that will go into the system but that's kind of like doing a 90% water change? I only have a few fish so there should be No problem with Ammonia but is there anything else I'm not thinking about. What would you do if you were upgrading a 20 gallon tank into a 200 gallon tank?
IMG_3847.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be excellent craftsmenship. Excited to watch this progress!
Thank You
Its actually now turned from Big butt Plywood box to Fish Tank. I am ready to start stocking this thing but just like everything in this hobby can't get in too much of hurry

figwig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read though all of this, looks incredible! Can't wait to see it full. Makes my little 75gal feel tiny!

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had quite the scare this morning. I went to check the water level and there were gallons of water on the floor.
1DEC46B4-C94A-4544-834E-DBC36A962440.jpeg

So after a little looking it ended up no big deal I had not completely tightened a union and it was leaking tank is holding good
2A0B59BC-E34F-4A1E-A909-F3B067E976C1.jpeg

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what stared as a very bad day ended well. This morning when I discovered the leak I had to get to work so I did not have time to really investigate. When I got home it was exactly what I had suspected but I did have a little setback because I pumped about 60 gallons out of the tank and into Brute cans and turned off RODI until I could get home tonight and double check everything. I tightened up the fittings and put all the water back in and there seams to be NO leaks. So I have now restated the RODI. Not a big deal I'm just about 12 hours behind where I would have been. RODI is running and this tank should be filled in a couple of days.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am almost there. The tank is now over 90% full just 1-2" and it will be considered full. :) :) :)
There is absolutely No deflection at all. I borrowed a device from an engineer at work not sure what it called but kind of like a micrometer dial gauge. I set that up so that if the back wall moved it would register and so far nothing at all.
IMG_3851.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have been making progress I put the last new ballast in my 6 bulb 36" T5 fixture. I have all 9 WAV pumps in the display running. I have 2ea. 800 watt heaters starting to warm things up. I have new MH bulbs and 6 new T-5 bulbs coming in tomorrow so all lighting will be new bulbs. This weekend I will be mixing salt and then adding sand. After that just need to let it run for a bit before moving the fish in.
This is Post 500 in this thread Thank you ALL for your interest and help I would have never thought I would have a thread on here with 500 posts.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back