Mehaffy's 1100+ gallon Plywood display in North Alabama

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh some other news today. With this extreme cold were having its freaking my wife out so today she asked me to buy a whole house generator. So I am looking into something like the Generac units. Any suggestions
Curious what you go with, shopping for one of these as well. I’m on propane here so I hit a wall trying to get the gas company to put in a large in-ground tank. Seemed like the guy in charge of that just had enough work and didn’t want to accommodate me.

I’m planning a 22kw system with automatic transfer and all that. My dad has one. One thing he told me was don’t let them sell you on the maintenance plan, since it maintains itself and its easy change the oil and filters. He’s 74 and still does it himself.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what you go with, shopping for one of these as well. I’m on propane here so I hit a wall trying to get the gas company to put in a large in-ground tank. Seemed like the guy in charge of that just had enough work and didn’t want to accommodate me.

I’m planning a 22kw system with automatic transfer and all that. My dad has one. One thing he told me was don’t let them sell you on the maintenance plan, since it maintains itself and its easy change the oil and filters. He’s 74 and still does it himself.
I just started looking so I really don't have any idea yet. My area is all electric so I will need propane tank for fuel. I guess to start I need to know what I want to keep running and what the power consumption is. I still need to do a lot of research on this but the important thing is that it was her idea.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just speaking from experience with a similar sized tank go even bigger on the fish schools, you have the room, think 20-30 chromis, half a dozen or better jawfish, 3 or 4 schools of different anthias at 10 plus each, trust me even with the near 40 fish I have in mine it still looks fairly empty
I like your thinking here, I would love to see a picture of what you have and what size it is to put it in perspective.

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your thinking here, I would love to see a picture of what you have and what size it is to put it in perspective.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can’t you just have them tie your generator into the main gas line of your house? I guess you did say propane so there’s where your tank comes into play ..

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t you just have them tie your generator into the main gas line of your house? I guess you did say propane so there’s where your tank comes into play ..
My house does not have any gas. Its all electric so the challenge is getting and keeping gas.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just speaking from experience with a similar sized tank go even bigger on the fish schools, you have the room, think 20-30 chromis, half a dozen or better jawfish, 3 or 4 schools of different anthias at 10 plus each, trust me even with the near 40 fish I have in mine it still looks fairly empty
Thanks for the link. I defiantly checked out your tank a lot while I was doing my planning. It does not look crowded at all. I love the fish. One more question though I thought triggers were not reef safe and I see at least 2 in the pics. Are they any problem in your tank?

darinsmall86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week I am installing a 22kw generac whole home system on a house with a automatic transfer switch. Having natural gas is more convenient but this one has a switch inside built in to switch between propane and natural gas.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-I also love pretty much all kinds of tangs like many others have already suggested I haven't seen mentioned maculiceps, freckle faced, Chevron, yellow eyed kole tang yet
-I second the notion for rabbitfish, as previously stated they are great algea grazers (Gold lined rabbitfish, orange spot rabbitfish, Scribled rabbitfish, pacific coral rabbitfish, magnificent, or foxface to name a few)
-A few Pyramid butterflies
-Large group of damsels (Chrysiptera genus)
-Some genicanthus angel(s)
-Flasher wrasse(s) (mccosker's, carpenters, blue, filamented, diamond tail, half banded, bell's are some of my favorites with varying price tags)
-Leopard wrasse (potter's, blue star, chaoti again more of my favorites)
-Fairy wrasses ( there's a pretty wide range of different wrasses out there and hunter (evolved) has some great articles/threads on them
-Some dartfish for some top movement zebra maybe?
-engineer gobies are interesting
-marine betas are always stunning
-Small group of Borbonius
-its hard to beat a large group of anthias

There's a good starting point lol. I'd be happy to mane more if you wish but u think thats a good list of some of my favorites.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NautiTang I have been looking through your fish ideas and I love this list. I will fore sure be incorporating some of these into the tank. What do you know about Rabbitfish What I have been reading says they may nip LPS and soft coals? My real concern would be will they mess with clams because I want a couple clams in the future after tank gets stable.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh some other news today. With this extreme cold were having its freaking my wife out so today she asked me to buy a whole house generator. So I am looking into something like the Generac units. Any suggestions
My brother has a generac unit in Birmingham his is one of the biggest they have but he said some of the middle ranges would have run most all the essentials and a few extras. He said he recommends them. If there aren't any gas lines in your neighborhood goodluck explaining to your wife a giant propane tank.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother has a generac unit in Birmingham his is one of the biggest they have but he said some of the middle ranges would have run most all the essentials and a few extras. He said he recommends them. If there aren't any gas lines in your neighborhood goodluck explaining to your wife a giant propane tank.
I'm thinking a propane tank that buried in the ground.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking a propane tank that buried in the ground.
Yeah its not a pretty thing to look at unless you have a lot of space to hide it. Built a concrete wall around my uncles. It would come in handy for sure. You won't be upset since I feel like this is your forever home at this point. Maybe the RODI will show up tomorrow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back