Melanarus missing....again.

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Juvenile Melanarus on Friday morning. He was fine the entire day happily exploring his new home. Its now Monday and I have not seen him since. This is my 3rd Melanarus wrasse. My first Melanarus i had for about 2.5 years when one day he just showed up dead. Nobody else just him. I tried again about 6 months ago. Added the wrasse never saw him again after day 1. Could something in the sand be poisoning them? My average depth is about 4 inches. I really like these fish. I can't understand why suddenly I have a problem keeping them. Tank is 3 years old and parameters are all stable and well within normal limits. Any advice?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Juvenile Melanarus on Friday morning. He was fine the entire day happily exploring his new home. Its now Monday and I have not seen him since. This is my 3rd Melanarus wrasse. My first Melanarus i had for about 2.5 years when one day he just showed up dead. Nobody else just him. I tried again about 6 months ago. Added the wrasse never saw him again after day 1. Could something in the sand be poisoning them? My average depth is about 4 inches. I really like these fish. I can't understand why suddenly I have a problem keeping them. Tank is 3 years old and parameters are all stable and well within normal limits. Any advice?
Is your tank lidless or does it have a lid? If lidless, did you look around the floor of the tank to see if it jumped out and died? Of course, if it jumped out and you have anything like a dog or cat you probably would not find the corpse as it was probably enjoyed as a tasty snack.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank lidless or does it have a lid? If lidless, did you look around the floor of the tank to see if it jumped out and died? Of course, if it jumped out and you have anything like a dog or cat you probably would not find the corpse as it was probably enjoyed as a tasty snack.

Yup, the lid would be a definite factor. @ the OP, Melanurus can hide for days or weeks when first getting used to a new environment. So this isn't surprising. Some people have had theirs disappear and pop again 3 weeks later. Part of it is that they are getting used to a schedule that is opposite to their natural environment (their version of jet lag).

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Melanarus... great fish. I'm in the process of changing to a bare bottom tank, and hoping I can keep him stress free... we'll see.

They do hide, sometimes for an extended time... I wouldn't give up on him quite yet. He may well show up healthy and happy.

Topless, with a wrasse, is a bad idea... they're known jumpers. Yes, all fish can jump (well... I'd like to see a seahorse try it, but _most_ fish can jump), but wrasses are very well known for it.

Having a fish disappear a few days after it comes home is far from unusual these days... there are so many sick fishes being sold. Was he quarantined, by you, or by your LFS?

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have right fitting mesh lids. Hopefully I will see him again soon.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s completely normal for a Halichoeres wrasse to appear a bit for the first day and disappear in to the sand for a few days or even a few weeks in extreme cases. Fret not.

Juveniles aren’t as hardy as larger adults but they’re a pretty hardy fish.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great!!

I remember when i got my Red Coris, i saw him for a whole 15 minutes, then not again for a week... Same when i added my melanarus. When i moved him from the 90 to the 220, he did the same...

Back