Melanarus with Yellow Coris Wrasse

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 100g tank I have a male melanarus wrasse. It's a bare bottom tank but I have a container filled with sand for the wrasse to sleep in. Can I add a yellow coris? Will it sleep in the same container with the melanarus. I do not have room for another container.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my 100g tank I have a male melanarus wrasse. It's a bare bottom tank but I have a container filled with sand for the wrasse to sleep in. Can I add a yellow coris? Will it sleep in the same container with the melanarus. I do not have room for another container.
Kind of sounds like a bad idea to me. How big is this container?

ECreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not the best idea, especially since they are from the same family of Halichoeres wrasses. In a much larger tank, with sand or multiple areas of sand, it should be no problem.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210 with sandbed, but unsure I want to add another Halichoeres species. My Christmas is a bit defensive. I would be leery to add in a 100g. However, how long has the melanarus been in the tank? After qt period, he may have too much territory to add another.

OP
OP
H

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The melanarus has been in the tank for about 6 months. I guess it's not a good idea to add another wrasse in the same family.

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I house about 20 different wrasses and yes you can put them both in same tank normally. But imo you will need a second container of sand. They will coexist in tank but not burrow in same tub.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the container will be an issue at all.

You will have an issue the first couple days of you don't use an acclimation box, maybe even a dead yellow coris.

If you use the box for a couple days at least, probly no issues at all.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think so, but again, I have only ever had sand for mine. I have kept yellow coris and other halichoeres species, just not usually at the same time in the same tank. I can only tell you my experience and my Christmas would never let another in. Maybe the melanarus will. Sounds like other wrasse keepers have good luck. :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that with the use of an acclimation box aggression should be minimal and they should be able to coexist. Though on occasion an established melanurus can be particularly aggressive to a new congener, this is usually not the case.

A couple of days in an acclimation box without sand is fine.

Reefpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very I mean very surprised if they would share the same container. How big is the container and could you put in a second container?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the acclimation box and wrasse. Wouldn't the lack of substrate be stressful?
It can be, but for a couple days things will be okay. And it's a much better alternative to a possible quick murder. :eek:
I can only tell you my experience and my Christmas would never let another in.
"Christmas" can apply to several different species, but if you're talking about H. ornatissimus, then your experience is consistent with the norm. Typically a ornery species.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is mine. Sorry, I should have specified which. Mine is the H. ornatissimus from Hawaii. Big, beautiful, fun, and a bit harassing to new comers. I think another wrasse in the H. genus would be very put out in my tank. :) I do have a Mystery, but so different, there are no issues.

OP
OP
H

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very I mean very surprised if they would share the same container. How big is the container and could you put in a second container?

The container is about 6" x 4" with about 3" of sand in it. The tank is full of rocks. so there is no room for another container, except maybe a small one like 3" x 2".

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those two together are typically fine. I personally wouldn't hesitate to do it, same container or not.

Do use an acclimation box though.
X2

Jam-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1477682182.901078.jpg

Jam-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty not too happy of my new addition, "Four spot yellow wrasse" I believe so?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back