Melanarus wrasse gill problem

reefstank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1.5 year old melanarus wrasse has developed some sort of problem on only his right gill, seen in the pictures below. There also seems to be some sort of inflammation inside that gill. Otherwise he seems healthy and is eating and behaving normally. No other fish have any problems, and there have been no recent fish additions to the tank, only some frags. I could not find anything to identify the problem and need help
455D8246-B2F4-40F0-8FCE-62E804B8ACAE.jpeg
25499C1B-735F-48CF-AB5C-0AA05BD3E057.jpeg
CF867AE9-B1FD-4ABA-AEC6-7B6345A5AC17.jpeg

519A695E-BDC2-4563-842A-83AB8EED0348.jpeg 6844AE5E-8C1C-42A1-B433-496D320400F4.jpeg 4B2C23AA-F94B-4644-90A2-B290AAA37C5F.jpeg

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The absence of new fish but potentially contaminated water does not rule out introduced infection. I had velvet from a frag and since QT those too.
However Gill flukes would increase respiratory rate and would be more likely symmetric.
Descriptive, it’s a tumour. Could be a focal infection (abscess), growth, benign or non benign.
Additional information that may help: any fish disease in the tank you got the frag from? Respiratory rate (less likely increased with growth). Speed of progression (more rapid with infection).
I am sure one of the big guns is going to weigh in as well.

OP
OP
R

reefstank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The absence of new fish but potentially contaminated water does not rule out introduced infection. I had velvet from a frag and since QT those too.
However Gill flukes would increase respiratory rate and would be more likely symmetric.
Descriptive, it’s a tumour. Could be a focal infection (abscess), growth, benign or non benign.
Additional information that may help: any fish disease in the tank you got the frag from? Respiratory rate (less likely increased with growth). Speed of progression (more rapid with infection).
I am sure one of the big guns is going to weigh in as well.
Frags all came from unique corals so should be clean, although I did not QT them
I only noticed the abscess two days ago, but it does not appear to have grown at all since.
Respiratory rate seems a bit quick but not something i would notice otherwise

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

How long has it had the spot? Did it develop slowly or show up all of a sudden?

This is unlikely to be a parasitic disease, as it is only involving one gill of the fish.

A tumor, as mentioned is a possibility, but not if it showed up overnight or within a day or two. If it showed up quickly, I'd be more inclined to think bacterial infection.

If it grew over weeks, then a tumor is probable and its location would steer my towards thyroid hyperplasia - goiter.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back