Melanarus wrasse vs tomini tang

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melanarus and tomini have shared my 75 gal tank for at least a year, I think more.
As far as I could tell they shared the title of "tank boss" pretty amicably with no real agression toward each other or other tank mates (including a fairy and flasher wrasse).

Today I noticed the Tomini hiding, barely coming out. This is a huge change in behavior as he is usually out swimming all day. Concerned, I put some extra seaweed in to try and tease him out. After a minute he went for the seaweed and he looks fine, but I saw the melanarus chase him off the veggie clip almost right away. The tomini darted right back into his hole.

I am pretty sure the melanarus is reaching terminal status, he's quite large with bold colors and his tail spot has gotten really small. Could this have upset the power balance? I haven't seen any increased agression by the melanarus toward the other fish.

Luckily I have a 180 upgrade in progress so they will have more room soon.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a picture of the wrasse? Some species in this complex are more aggressive than others and sometimes sold as the wrong species. Halichoeres ornatissimus comes to mind.
But sometimes animals act weird if something spooked them, in mammals we call redirected aggression, fish dont have as many studies done on behavior. If there were any stress event or changes this might be what is happening.
If the behavior continues could try a time out for the wrasse.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even an aggressive Halichoeres shouldn't have that kind of effect on a tomini tang you've had for awhile. Tomini tangs are than capable of taking care of themselves. Something else is going on, possibly a disease or injury.

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even an aggressive Halichoeres shouldn't have that kind of effect on a tomini tang you've had for awhile. Tomini tangs are than capable of taking care of themselves. Something else is going on, possibly a disease or injury.
This is kind of what i though too but I thought I would ask. I can't see any signs of diesease or injury to the tang and no new additions for about 4 months, so diease seems less likely. Hopefully he is just spooked.

Ironically, I lost my flame hawk from my other tank today. No signs of disease or injury, just healthy and eating to dead. I'm disturbed, I sure hope this isn't the beginning of a trend :(
I'll be watching as closely as I can given my 12 hour shifts the next 3 days.

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a picture of the wrasse? Some species in this complex are more aggressive than others and sometimes sold as the wrong species. Halichoeres ornatissimus comes to mind.
But sometimes animals act weird if something spooked them, in mammals we call redirected aggression, fish dont have as many studies done on behavior. If there were any stress event or changes this might be what is happening.
If the behavior continues could try a time out for the wrasse.
No pictures in my phone and I am not home. Will try to get one tonight.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept the two species together in the past without any issue.
That's sort of my hunch as well.

Granted, the size of the tank might be causing some unexpected behavior, but I'm still a bit suspect.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back