Melanuras MIA

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E1119BEC-ACD7-462E-9BEE-635C59559CCD.jpeg
I have a fairly new 120 gallon FOWLR. I had recently (2weeks ago) transferred a 90 gallon into the new 120. I used new live sand and added additional live rock. Total live rock: 100 pounds. I’ve been monitoring the water closely and have seen no anomalies.
I brought a Melanuras home from my fav LFS 8 days ago. My water parameters in terms of salinity and ph were very close to the water that was in the bag from the LFS.
I temperature acclimated then got him out of the bag, and into a plastic bowl. Since salinity and ph were spot on, I put him in an acclimation tank after 30 minutes of taking a half cup of water out and adding half a cup of DT water.
After two full days and just before the lights timed out, I released him.
Everything went swimmingly and uneventful until yesterday. I noticed he wasn’t swimming around as he normally would but was not concerned until he didn’t come out for his early evening feeding of Mysis shrimp.

I’m thinking this is not normal behavior. I’ve looked everywhere, including the overflows and the bottom glass from underneath, behind the stand, etc.
There had been almost no aggression in the tank. The Coral Beauty was curious but not aggressive towards him. I have 7 other fish and 6 shrimp plus a few turbo snails. It’s a peaceful tank. Nothing else is amiss.

I know they bury themselves in the sand if frightened. As far as I know, nothing should have scared him. So... do you think he’s a goner? Did I stress him out?
I checked ammonia this A.M. but it’s zero. Maybe he hasn’t started to get rotten yet.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stayed in the sand for like a week before I started seeing him from time to time. It's completely normal for it to burry itself for a while.

OP
OP
R

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hybernating in the new system. He came in from a long trip and after he convinced himself that your tank is really safe he is off for a long winter nap. Let him sleep in. He will be hungry when he awakens.
Haha, ok. I hope thats what is happening. I know the Skunk cleaners and Peppermint shrimp are happy roaming the tank. They must like the new tank.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for kicks look in the tank after the lights go out, his “clock” may be off and he might be coming out at night.

OP
OP
R

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I watched for awhile last night.
Now that you mentioned it; he had a habit of disappearing in the early evening but always Came out for the final meal of the day. That might not mean anything. He was always the last to rise in the morning. Maybe he’s suffering jet lag.

OP
OP
R

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone who responded. He came out for a few minutes. It was dinner time anyway so he was offered flake, which he had eaten in the past, and frozen Mysis. I don’t believe he ate anything. I think he had just come out when he went after a Peppermint shrimp. Whether it was territorial aggression or predatorial, I’m not sure. In the brief time he was out, it appeared as though there was an adversarial relationship between them. They held their ground and he went elsewhere. No photo , he had gone back in hiding.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint Shrimp will definitely be on the menu with a hungry Mel. LRS Reef Frenzy would be a good way to induce feeding.

OP
OP
R

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’ll give it a try.
He looked healthy enough. I need to get something in him before he figures out how to dismember the shrimp. I knew I was taking a chance with him but he had never shown interest in the shrimp.
He had only been in the tank for a week, plus two more in the social acclimation tank before disappearing.

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s most likely just sleeping under the sand. No worries. As for your shrimp. They’re pretty much doomed. Mine tears apart my clean up crew. Killing and “playing” with hermits, snails, and shrimp. The cleaner should be fine but peppermints will probably be goners. However each fish has its own personality. Good luck.

OP
OP
R

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. Yeah, I researched him before I decided to get him. It was kind of a tossup. Some went after the shrimp, some didn’t.
I’ll let it play itself out.

OP
OP
R

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.... how long a MIA is considered normal wrasse behavior?
It’s been two weeks since I’ve seen the Melanuras. He was active and out swimming around after release from the social acclimation tank. After 5 or 6 days, he went into hiding. He appeared briefly, two weeks ago. He was out for maybe an hour, then disappeared again.
I tested for ammonia and it’s zero, or close to it.
Anyone have words of wisdom?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back