Melanurus and Lubbock wrasse compatibly?

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just introduced Lubbock fairy wrasse into my display yesterday and I noticed that my melanurus has chased the Lubbock around somewhat and showed a little aggression. The melanurus is at least and inch if not more larger than smaller Lubbocks.
I researched a lot about compatibility of the two together and read that it was okay to add together . I also asked my friend that owns LFS said it’s was fine .
Anyone have these 2 wrasse’s in there tank and how do they do together ? I’ve never had 2 wrasses in one tank before .

Thanks !

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus can be jerks to other wrasses once they are established. Mine had been the only Wrasse in the tank for 18 months when I got my Blue Star Leopard and my Melanurus was NOT HAPPY with the addition. They have learned to tolerate each other for the most part but squabble a bit at feeding time and periodically fin flare and circle each other. Get a mirror and see if that doesn't help with the Melanurus.

OP
OP
AdamB

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the melanurus in my tank for about a month so hopefully that will change or maybe I can change up my rock arrangement some maybe just as I used to do in freshwater to avoid territory issues? Thanks for the info ! I will try a mirror . I have noticed melanurus has seen reflection on side glass and he will pace back and forth. Melanurus has been a model citizen up until know!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a large tank, it is likely OK. Smaller tanks, unlikely to be OK becasue Melanurus can be aggressive.
How big is your tank?

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u can, put the melanurus in an acclimation box, imo

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have these 2 wrasse’s in there tank and how do they do together ?

I have both......plus a yellow coris and a female leopard wrasse...Untill a month ago I used to have a Blue flasher wrasse too, but it jumped.
Here the Yellow coris came first, then the melanurus, the leopard and for last, the Lubbock.
I never had any problem, but my tank is very big (2000liters), so I don't know if my experience counts.
You have the melanurus for a short period of time. If your tank is over 600~800 liters, I would try it.

OP
OP
AdamB

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update . I haven’t had issue with the 2 wrasses so far . The Lubbock's wrasses hides a lot more since I added Kole tang 3 weeks ago .
I had a firefish disappear 3 weeks shortly after my recent Kole tang addition . I actually thought it died or my BTA got to him but fire fish just showed up out of the blue after my water change !

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back