Melanurus Transition - Timing/Cue?

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm new to melanurus and I found a female/juvi at the LFS. My wife's comment... straight through my heart... "wow, that isn't really that pretty". If I got this fish, what does the transition look like? How long does it take? How do you know that's starting? It was a bit shy.

20200526_172808.jpg 20200526_172752.jpg
Apologies for the poor pictures. I had to sneak up on her Rambo style just for these... full zoom and everything.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
D

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might hold off and see if I can get a smaller fish. We only have 4 fish in the tank and have another 3-4 that we want to pick up... including some shrimp. (Yes, I'm willing to risk some shrimp, lol). Wrasses are probably my favorite group of fish but I've only ever had a six line. Looking forward to experiencing some others. Thanks for your reply.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We only have 4 fish in the tank and have another 3-4 that we want to pick up... including some shrimp.
How large is the tank, and what are the 4 fish already in the tank?
Wrasses are probably my favorite group of fish but I've only ever had a six line.
Pseudocheilinus do not play well with other wrasses. If you still have it, then the melanurus is not for you.
Looking forward to experiencing some others.
If I may be so self-indulgent, I would point you towards this read:

OP
OP
D

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Hunter. I am planning on watching your MACNA 2017 video this afternoon and have been looking through that thread already :)

I have a 40 gallon breeder with: 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 tangaroa goby, and 1 royal gramma. The tank is a little tighter than I'd like. I do have aragonite in there. The six line was in my 90 gallon tank I had 6 years ago (when I was a graduate student) so it is no longer with me. I had that tank up and running for 3+ years. I am open to other wrasse as well. I like some of the flasher wrasse and had even thought of a Carpenter or McCosker in the tank but thought I should just do the Melanurus to minimize possible conflict.

The other fish that have been discussed: PJ Cardinalfish, Dwarf Angel (Coral Beauty or Flame Angel), 1x Chromis. I expect we'll be looking to add a 120+ gallon tank to the livingroom in the next year or so. This tank was requested in the bedroom but I'd really prefer to be able to watch it all day. We aren't sold on the Dwarf Angel yet as I'd like to keep some LPS and I'm weighing the nipping chances.

20200526_095527.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon breeder with: 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 tangaroa goby, and 1 royal gramma. The tank is a little tighter than I'd like.
Yeah, a 40 is about the minimum dimensions I'd be comfortable with for the smaller Halichoeres. But even then, it is a bit cramped.
I like some of the flasher wrasse and had even thought of a Carpenter or McCosker in the tank
Paracheilinus do work nicely in a 40, in terms of swimming space/volume.

OP
OP
D

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, a 40 is about the minimum dimensions I'd be comfortable with for the smaller Halichoeres. But even then, it is a bit cramped.

Paracheilinus do work nicely in a 40, in terms of swimming space/volume.
They're just not as attractive to me as the melanurus.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back