Melanurus Wrasse Buried for days

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest fish that I've had for over 5 years. He runs my tank and is always first to eat. Hadn't seen him in 2 days and figured his time had come, but I couldn't locate him in the tank. I even looked around the floor in case he jumped while I had the lid moved for feeding. Saw his fin in the sand and figured that was his grave. I just saw him swim out of the sand, move around the tank and then bury himself again. He's NEVER buried himself during the day.

Any thoughts?

Maybe @evolved could help me, but I'm not sure how to tag him.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry your wrasse isn’t feeling his best. I’ve had mine take the day off and appeared fine the next day. I’ve had one stay there till it was emaciated so it depends on what’s going on with the little guy.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought is something could have spooked him. I've had a melanarus wrasse in the past. When I first got him, he immediately buried himself and stay that way for about a week. He finally showed up, and ruled the tank as well for several years. I hope that's the case, yours just got spooked and will come back out soon and start ruling the tank again! I will have to say, though, 5 years is pretty good for a wrasse.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had new wrasses hide for days, up to two weeks before I saw them (doesn't mean they didn't come out but hide again). Maybe something spooked it or something picked on it. Anything you can think of?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Established fish that suddenly changes behavior is rarely a good sign. I’ve had most of my halichoeres wrasses last about 7 years before they start to decline from age. Usually presents as gradual weight loss then staying in the sand.

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't added anything (fish or coral) for about 8 months. He did eat today and now is swimming around. Hopefully, he just needed a couple days off.

Very strange to say the least. I am pretty happy to have any fish live this long.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an Timor wrasse for two years. He hides in the sand for weeks at a time and then comes out and is fine.

Once he disappeared for 37 days, came out for half a day, ate, hid for another 15 days came out and was fine, that was 9 months ago.

He just came out today after being hidden for 9 days and is fine, dominating the tank, eating

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back