Melanurus wrasse help

Anthygod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys ,
I got a Melanurus wrasse on thursday and added him to the Tank when the lights where still off. He looked around for 3 seconds and burried hin in the Sand immediatly. Now its Sunday and i didnt saw him since adding him onces! I am Getting a Bit worried if he could of died in the Sand or something ? I don’t Want to Disturb ihm and dig him out or something but slowly i get a bit worried- he didnt came out to eat or Anything. Is this normal that he is under the Sand for such a Long Time ? I mean today is the 4th day or should i be concernd?
Here is a pic that was 3 to 4 Hours After adding him you saw him like that and 5 minutes after he buried himself again.
Thank you for your help

3D8394D8-6802-4CC0-AAF1-24AF43E9E658.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,can you see where he is buried ?

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll come out when ready. I've had some species take 2 weeks before they made a real appearance. Leave em be, don't poke or try to get him to come out. Patience.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely normal. They can hide for several days at a time without eating.

I personally would check right around lights out time with a flashlight. It may be coming out at night and eating pods.

Under no circumstances should you disturb a sand sleeping wrasse, it just stresses them out even more.

If a week has passed and you do not see it still, only then would I go "fishing" for it. And only to force it out of the sand to see if it's still alive, then leave it be again.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys ,
I got a Melanurus wrasse on thursday and added him to the Tank when the lights where still off. He looked around for 3 seconds and burried hin in the Sand immediatly. Now its Sunday and i didnt saw him since adding him onces! I am Getting a Bit worried if he could of died in the Sand or something ? I don’t Want to Disturb ihm and dig him out or something but slowly i get a bit worried- he didnt came out to eat or Anything. Is this normal that he is under the Sand for such a Long Time ? I mean today is the 4th day or should i be concernd?
Here is a pic that was 3 to 4 Hours After adding him you saw him like that and 5 minutes after he buried himself again.
Thank you for your help

3D8394D8-6802-4CC0-AAF1-24AF43E9E658.jpeg
This is normal for these wrasses, don’t worry about it. He will come out once he’s hungry. Also, melanurus wrasses (and halichoeres in general) are some of the most bulletproof fish around. They basically never contract diseases and eat basically everything. You’ll be fine - be patient.

tgafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did the same thing. 1 week buried in QT tank. Once I moved him to display it took 3 full weeks for him to show himself. He looked healthy and happy when he emerged. Just be patient, he's fine

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
has it moved ?
just me i would just give a little nudge w stick,
if moves leave be.
cuc is also indicator of problem .
have not seen too many mele's bury for more than a day or two ,normally bold fish.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back