Melanurus wrasse hiding for almost 2 weeks?

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I went to our LFS and picked up a melanurus (adult male) that had been in their display tank for a few months the guy said. The moment we put him into the tank he nose dived straight into the sand... which we expected. A few days passed and then we saw him for a few moments as he floated around the top of the tank. Since then we haven’t seen him for about a week. I’ve noticed a lot of sand on my frag rack but not sure if that’s from him or that I moved it much lower in the tank.

If it means much the guy at the lfs claimed he was in their sand for nearly 3 weeks and they assumed he was dead but then one morning he was there ready to eat.

My question is do you think I should stir the sand and try and flush him out? I’d hate for him to be dead in the sand and my phosphates getting ready to go through the roof.

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I went to our LFS and picked up a melanurus (adult male) that had been in their display tank for a few months the guy said. The moment we put him into the tank he nose dived straight into the sand... which we expected. A few days passed and then we saw him for a few moments as he floated around the top of the tank. Since then we haven’t seen him for about a week. I’ve noticed a lot of sand on my frag rack but not sure if that’s from him or that I moved it much lower in the tank.

If it means much the guy at the lfs claimed he was in their sand for nearly 3 weeks and they assumed he was dead but then one morning he was there ready to eat.

My question is do you think I should stir the sand and try and flush him out? I’d hate for him to be dead in the sand and my phosphates getting ready to go through the roof.
No dont search the sand it will make him even more stressed just wait ive heard they can do it up to 2 months

OP
OP
Greg Depo

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely after hiding for a week, he should be rested. If it were me I would have to find him. Like you I would worry that he might be dead.
Maybe during my water change this weekend I’ll look. I’d hate to freak him out more.
Anyone else hear of a wrasse hiding that long?

The0wn4g3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe during my water change this weekend I’ll look. I’d hate to freak him out more.
Anyone else hear of a wrasse hiding that long?

Can you see the bottom of the tank from below? My stand is open on the top, so I can stick my head inside and find my leopard wrasse in the sand. He usually leaves just a bit of blue fin pressed against the glass.

20200806_210003.jpg

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT! I repeat! DO NOT GO DIGGING THROUGH YOUR SANDBED FOR HIM! I know the feeling! But all you will do is stress him out more if he is still alive and then you are asking for a dead fish! For all you know he is popping out here and there when no one is looking snagging a few pods and hitting the sand hard and fast before anyone sees him! Had a Kuiter's leopard do this to me for MONTHS!!!! My husband eventually caught her slippin and trapped her and we moved her to a friends macro algae display fuge that she loved so much she turned into a he!

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I look at it this way. Either he hides, with only brief appearances that you miss, and he is getting enough to eat to survive. Or he is dead, and likely clean up crew consumed by now. Either way, there's nothing really for you to do, so "finding him" would be for your own personal comfort. I will comment that a single disturbance by digging through your sand to find him isn't going to do anything to his health.

OP
OP
Greg Depo

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and solid advice from everyone... I did get some lids on the tank when I saw him floating around at the very top.

I’m gonna wait him out and like you guys mentioned if he’s dead then the cleanup crew had a thanksgiving dinner. He’s pretty big ha

Hopefully he starts coming out I need him to start chowing down on these bristle worms!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is do you think I should stir the sand and try and flush him out?
Never dig up a stressed & buried wrasse - it just stresses them further.
I’d hate for him to be dead in the sand and my phosphates getting ready to go through the roof.
One small, dead fish in a tank is hardly a noticeable blip on the radar for nutrients, provided you have a sufficient CUC.

Also, it's rare they die in the sand - they usually come out and lay on top of the sand before expiring.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Old thread, but did you eventually find him and how long after wards?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back