Melanurus Wrasse Not doing well.

pookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
backstory very quickly, a week ago I got the bright idea of buying a pot for my clowns in my main DT so they can maybe lay eggs in it and I can hatch them, I boiled the pot for about 10 minutes and let it dry and tossed it in. Simultaneously I realized my magnesium was down to 1080 which is not good so the same day I started increasing my magnesium by 50ppm every day with my doser.<--- I don't think this has anything to do with this so now onto my F UP. I put the pot in the tank and of course, they didn't even acknowledge it but after a day I realized all the fish were VERY skittish and wouldn't go above the halfway point of my tank. I noticed my wrasse on the sand bed not swimming around like normal breathing VERY QUICK I do 2 50% water changes and all the other fish have bounced back except this guy I took him out after another day just because if he died I didn't want his body in the tank where I wouldn't be able to find it. He is now in my QT 10 gallons and has been like this for 5 days now just on his side and breathing very fast he ate the first 3 days but after the transfer, he hasn't. I blacked out the tank the first day and gave him a bowl of sand to sleep or rest in. I went in yesterday to my LFS and explained the situation and suggested maybe a parasite after the exposure to something in the pot, he gave me safety stop rapid fish quarantine, last night I did the dip and it went well but no sign of improvement. He is still right now like this and I don't want him to suffer Does anyone have any ideas what to do?!?!?! I'm dosing stress guard in the tank twice a day. (bottle days it can be dosed 2x) I also took the pot out and haven't put it back since but boiled it for like 3 hours to be very cautious lol.

Attachments

• Wrasse Video.mp4
    17.8 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
backstory very quickly, a week ago I got the bright idea of buying a pot for my clowns in my main DT so they can maybe lay eggs in it and I can hatch them, I boiled the pot for about 10 minutes and let it dry and tossed it in. Simultaneously I realized my magnesium was down to 1080 which is not good so the same day I started increasing my magnesium by 50ppm every day with my doser.<--- I don't think this has anything to do with this so now onto my F UP. I put the pot in the tank and of course, they didn't even acknowledge it but after a day I realized all the fish were VERY skittish and wouldn't go above the halfway point of my tank. I noticed my wrasse on the sand bed not swimming around like normal breathing VERY QUICK I do 2 50% water changes and all the other fish have bounced back except this guy I took him out after another day just because if he died I didn't want his body in the tank where I wouldn't be able to find it. He is now in my QT 10 gallons and has been like this for 5 days now just on his side and breathing very fast he ate the first 3 days but after the transfer, he hasn't. I blacked out the tank the first day and gave him a bowl of sand to sleep or rest in. I went in yesterday to my LFS and explained the situation and suggested maybe a parasite after the exposure to something in the pot, he gave me safety stop rapid fish quarantine, last night I did the dip and it went well but no sign of improvement. He is still right now like this and I don't want him to suffer Does anyone have any ideas what to do?!?!?! I'm dosing stress guard in the tank twice a day. (bottle days it can be dosed 2x) I also took the pot out and haven't put it back since but boiled it for like 3 hours to be very cautious lol.
Video does not play but the pot should have been rinsed not boiled as it has a coating from the firing process to bond the clay and may have released substance. I suggest running Hi-grade carbon and replace pot with a plastic or new one and rinse in RO or vinegar/water solution. Also add an air stone to the tank

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melanarus was super skittish when he was younger and with anything new, so some of his behavior might be attributed to all the disturbances as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is tough to figure out with the timeline and all.

I've used red clay pots with no issues. They can't be too toxic, because people grow plants in them, including food plants. There is no way the pot could have brought a disease in, not if you boiled it.

Are there invertebrates in the tank? Did they show any signs of stress after you added the pot? If so, that does point more towards some toxicity issue. The other fish getting better after the water change also points to a toxicity issue over a disease.

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the put outside when you bought it? it's a kinda long shot but maybe it had some sort if pesticide sprayed on it at some point.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the put outside when you bought it? it's a kinda long shot but maybe it had some sort if pesticide sprayed on it at some point.

Good point, I assumed it was a new pot, but if it had insecticide residue on it from previous use, that could be an issue.

OP
OP
pookie

pookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pot was new from Walmart inside, my shrimp are fine and my couple of snails are also fine. I hardly see my shrimp as they only come out at night so hard to say. Also I've heard you have to boil the pot? My wrasse is an adult male and not afraid too much as he was top dog in the tank. And acclimated immediately when I got him from a friend. But the video shows him in the bottom of the tank breathing very rapidly. I don't understand how he could be like this and still be alive?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 23.1%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 107 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back