Melted Plastic On Heater

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,

The water level the back of my tank was lower than I thought, leaving a part of my heater exposed.
The part melted and fell off the heater, sometime within the last day or two and was sitting in the water. Only a small area was melted on the piece. Is this piece still safe to use, it’s the end cap of the heater. Will the water be okay? I have carbon running, and my corals aren’t showing any negative signs. I have no fish in the tank.

KimG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace it immediately.
Depending on what part it was, it might no be a problem for the tanks inhabitants, but you don't want to run a defective heater. Just get a new one.

OP
OP
BamboozleBean

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace it immediately.
Depending on what part it was, it might no be a problem for the tanks inhabitants, but you don't want to run a defective heater. Just get a new one.
Gotcha, what about the water?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi no ,not safe ,unplug,new heater,even if part goes back on ,can fail at any time ,heaters are cheap,corals and fire hazzard are not, sorry ,happy reefing

OP
OP
BamboozleBean

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what failed and where. If the water was not exposed to anything that would be toxic to the fish and no electricity "leaked" you should be fine. Just keep an eye on it.
It was an external part that had no actual function, it then fell into the water because the spot where it was attached melted. I’m just worried the chemicals from plastic could have gone into the water from that.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was an external part that had no actual function, it then fell into the water because the spot where it was attached melted. I’m just worried the chemicals from plastic could have gone into the water from that.

For peace of mind, water change and some GAC.

If it got that hot to melt plastic, then I agree to discontinue using it and replace it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back