Phosphate 0
Tank is 8days old
No fish.
12 snails.
2 diff zoas. (Doing great)
Candy Cane (doing better)
Star polyps (doing fine)
Duncan (doing great)
Fluval Lighting system for sea that is all I know I keep it 100% blue for 12 hrs a day
Pretty much a tank that is 8 days old is no way ready for corals in most cases. You kinda need to take a deep breath and slow down

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do these mean? imo, wcs, s.g?
How can I lower Alk safely?
I also looked back at your previous threads and saw you using api test kit. Obviously you have already been told they are not very accurate. Hanna for alk and ulr phosphate,nyos for nitrate. And a good refractor at least for salt

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wat? Lol?
Maybe, I am off and would love to know why.

If she started off with fully live/established rock and established sand. What els in the tank needs to be established for the coral? The walls? Skimmer to break in. Looking at your profile you been in the hobby much longer than me, this is a genuine question.

OP
OP
Lmcg8020

Lmcg8020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your ammonia? Did you start with live rock? Looks like you have coralline in your first pic. Unless it’s painted.

And as everyone els said, bring up your salt. 1.026
I don’t have a test for ammonia yet. My alk is high, my salinity is low and all else is normal, temp is 77.6 and my other coral doing fine. I did start with live rock. I’m bringing salinity back up but how do I lower alk?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s in an area where flow is “lowish”
75gal R/O water
77.6 Temp
Alk (high) 18
Calcium 420
Salinity 1.022
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Tank is 8days old
No fish.
12 snails.
2 diff zoas. (Doing great)
Candy Cane (doing better)
Star polyps (doing fine)
Duncan (doing great)
Fluval Lighting system for sea that is all I know I keep it 100% blue for 12 hrs a day
I also notice you posted 0 for nitrate and 0 for phosphate. These numbers are way to low corals especially soft corals like you have need nutrients in the water to be healthy. If those numbers are accurate ( which I think they are not due to your poor test kits) then you will need to raise them or everything will continue to die. But you have many other things going on to correct aswell.

OP
OP
Lmcg8020

Lmcg8020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also looked back at your previous threads and saw you using api test kit. Obviously you have already been told they are not very accurate. Hanna for alk and ulr phosphate,nyos for nitrate. And a good refractor at least for salt
I just bought a Hanna for alk & calcium, I’ll have it by Tue. & all the advice I’m getting from this forum and the lfs are contradictory, I feel I was lead to believe I could add coral but I am starting to think that was pre mature, however my other coral are doing fine.

OP
OP
Lmcg8020

Lmcg8020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also notice you posted 0 for nitrate and 0 for phosphate. These numbers are way to low corals especially soft corals like you have need nutrients in the water to be healthy. If those numbers are accurate ( which I think they are not due to your poor test kits) then you will need to raise them or everything will continue to die. But you have many other things going on to correct aswell.
Okay I appreciate all the input really, I wanted to do this to have a great hobby and beautiful tank but feel I was poorly prepared. (Ill advised) Thank you

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a test for ammonia yet. My alk is high, my salinity is low and all else is normal, temp is 77.6 and my other coral doing fine. I did start with live rock. I’m bringing salinity back up but how do I lower alk?
All wake is not normal look at your nitrate and phosphates being 0 s
I just bought a Hanna for alk & calcium, I’ll have it by Tue. & all the advice I’m getting from this forum and the lfs are contradictory, I feel I was lead to believe I could add coral but I am starting to think that was pre mature, however my other coral are doing fine.
let me tell you something you better believe !!! The local fish store is in business to sell you things. We are here to help. Who do you think will give you the best answers? We don’t want or need your money.......

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do need to test your ammonia, if your rock was not fully live or you had a lot of die off. Your coral could be showing it.

also, what is your ammonia source? Your bacteria need to feed and make nitrates?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I appreciate all the input really, I wanted to do this to have a great hobby and beautiful tank but feel I was poorly prepared. (Ill advised) Thank you
I understand and this is what happen to most of us in the beginning so this is how we know this info

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not dosing, could it be the coral vitamins I put in one time yesterday?
No I don’t think coral vitamins have alk in it but I could be wrong. Please check the bottle to see if it does contain alk or post what produce you used so I can check

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not dosing, could it be the coral vitamins I put in one time yesterday?
I suspect testing error but could be wrong. Most salt does not mix higher then like 12-14 so to be at 18 or whatever would be strange without an additive being used

OP
OP
Lmcg8020

Lmcg8020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All wake is not normal look at your nitrate and phosphates being 0 s

let me tell you something you better believe !!! The local fish store is in business to sell you things. We are here to help. Who do you think will give you the best answers? We don’t want or need your money.......
That’s 100% why I’m reaching out! Thanks so much! I’ll get on it first thing!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back