Melunaris

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Melunaris is a funny fish.

If you looked at my QT tank you would wonder why I have an empty tank with equipment in it.

So the fish spends most of its time under the sand in a small Tupperware container with a few inches of oolitic sand. It’s wierd.

I mean, how does it breath under the sand?

But it sure is a beautiful hypnotic fish. The colors and patterns are fantastic.

I stayed away from Halichoeres wrasses in favor of fairy wrasses that stay small. I also run a bare bottom tank, which I am now rethinking.

It’s been one week in QT without any meds, and if the fish looks healthy in 3 more weeks I will have to decide on sand in containers well hidden or putting some sand in my tank.

If you haven’t checked out a Melunaris do so. There is something special about this fish and it also makes a great utility fish for the reef as well.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Melunaris is a funny fish.

If you looked at my QT tank you would wonder why I have an empty tank with equipment in it.

So the fish spends most of its time under the sand in a small Tupperware container with a few inches of oolitic sand. It’s wierd.

I mean, how does it breath under the sand?

But it sure is a beautiful hypnotic fish. The colors and patterns are fantastic.

I stayed away from Halichoeres wrasses in favor of fairy wrasses that stay small. I also run a bare bottom tank, which I am now rethinking.

It’s been one week in QT without any meds, and if the fish looks healthy in 3 more weeks I will have to decide on sand in containers well hidden or putting some sand in my tank.

If you haven’t checked out a Melunaris do so. There is something special about this fish and it also makes a great utility fish for the reef as well.
I actually had to remove mine....got very aggressive towards other wrasses. Beautiful, active fish though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They must have sand and hiding

OP
OP
Chessmanmark

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was out in QT a good bit today.
477E377B-8EA8-4BE8-BD25-B6D2E31BC471.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was out in QT a good bit today.
477E377B-8EA8-4BE8-BD25-B6D2E31BC471.jpeg
That is not a H. melanurus, but it is a H. chrysotaenia, or the Vrolik Wrasse, same as mine.
Here is my H. chrysotaenia. They are pretty similar except the supple tail pattern and slightly different facial marking. Mine is not quite a male yet but is getting there.
Chrysotaenia is larger than Melanurus and their range do not overlap, so no hybrid.
I though that mine was a Melanurus for ever until I feel that she is getting large, as a female. After much searching and research, she turn out to be a Vrolik wrasse.
As a baby
MelanurusWrasse2018062101 - Copy.png

Current pictures
MelanurusWrasse2020062101 - Copy.jpg

MelanurusWrasse2020080406 - Copy.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0001.JPG

This is Melanurus. I love them. They do take a while to adjust to new lighting. They have a impressive biological clock.
Unless @OrionN says differently

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a H. chrysotaenia
The tail and the face pattern is slightly different. I found this wrasse picture on line but it really show the different tail pattern which is what the OP wrasse and mine. However mine is not as clearly define yet.
halichoeres-vrolikii-vrolokiis-junker-lippfisch.jpg

OP
OP
Chessmanmark

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My head is spinning.

I asked for a Melanurus and the owner of the LFS showed me a pretty big one. Then he showed me the one I bought.

I am amazed at both of your knowledge and ability to identify these fish.

Other than getting 1/2 an inch bigger is it pretty much like a Melanurus or does it have any other specific needs, or temperament that I should know about before I move it to my display?

I appreciate you telling me this as I was unaware.

C0B6D3A9-9A32-4D73-87DC-00327474D42E.jpeg
CBBA40F9-C575-4B8E-9790-97D9FCB6761E.jpeg
0130EB5F-6025-4B75-B466-1B1B87167312.jpeg

OP
OP
Chessmanmark

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have eight fish in that tank.
PBT, Flame Hawkfish, Yellow Assessor, Pintail Wrasse
Cinnamon Clownfish, Orangetail Damsel, Chromis x 2.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are good, not easy intimidate by other fish but not aggressive in my tank, which is a 320 gal tank. They will look just as beautiful as the Melenurus. The picture on LA is a very poor picture of our wrasse.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back