Meredith's 180 In-wall happy place

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my acro dreams seem to be a little far fetched for what I'm willing to do as far as maintenance. I really really don't want to dose. I'm willing to add lighting to the tank to supplement, though my husband and I haven't settled on what we want to go with for that. We were talking about building our own MH fixtures. lol

Oh I know it will. :) It's no big in the grand scheme. I do want to update that the rest of the colony died and polluted my frag tank a bit. Getting ready for a large water change on that after removing the colony skeleton. :(

dunno if I've missed it but I havent seen your tank with a calc reactor? The importance of alkalinity stability when housing sps is a must. you just cant get stable results imo dosing 2 part, some people get lazy, some forget for a few days. A calc reactor is constantly adding calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity.
I use the geo's reef 618 double chamber calc reactor with a electronic carbon doser and apex controlling it all. My alkality is rock solid at 8. Temperature swings is probably the next fatal thing for sps, cant really keep having more than 1 degree swing or it will aggravate sps

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dunno if I've missed it but I havent seen your tank with a calc reactor? The importance of alkalinity stability when housing sps is a must. you just cant get stable results imo dosing 2 part, some people get lazy, some forget for a few days. A calc reactor is constantly adding calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity.
I use the geo's reef 618 double chamber calc reactor with a electronic carbon doser and apex controlling it all. My alkality is rock solid at 8. Temperature swings is probably the next fatal thing for sps, cant really keep having more than 1 degree swing or it will aggravate sps

I don't dose anything in the tank. I mostly use regular water changes to keep up with it. It's been working fine for years, but now my corals have been getting bigger and growing faster, so I need to start thinking about other options. A calcium reactor is on the list to consider along with a dosing pump and the various brands that offer three bigs.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get an opinion?

If you were to do a new system that wasn't an in wall, and wanted to stay in the 180g range, would you do 72"x 24"x25" again or would you go 60"x30"x24"?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get an opinion?

If you were to do a new system that wasn't an in wall, and wanted to stay in the 180g range, would you do 72"x 24"x25" again or would you go 60"x30"x24"?

I'd stay with the 72x24x24 but I have several reasons for that.
1. I wanted the length for the Achilles tang and any other tangs I wanted to add
2. 24 inches high was about all I was willing to have since I'm short. I'm glad I went that route instead of getting the 210 which is the same as this but 30 inches tall. I already almost snorkel to reach the front of the tank. lol Actually I just wait for a water change and mess around in the front when the water is low.
3. ...... Well I forgot number three but there is one. lol

If I had it to do over again, I would have saved a bit, finagled with my husband, and gotten an 8 foot tank instead. But I think that's just a natural byproduct of the salty addiction. ;)

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time (sadly no pictures today)

When I woke up this morning one of the anemones was just floating slowly over the sand irritating my acantho. Dangit. The bad luck continues with these things. The good part is that they aren't dead yet, but one is still hiding under a rock. The other, after me moving it to the rocks during the water change, is now in the back corner of the tank against the overflow. Hmmm. I just can't make them happy. I'm considering adding more live rock to the tank to help keep the whole thing more stable (hopefully). I've only got about 150 lbs of rock in there I think. I don't remember how much I used from the previous tank.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh!! My husband and I are going to make our own metal halide lamps to add to my LEDs. We will make two and I already have all the parts for it. My personal electrician will have to eek out some time to help me put them together. ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stay with the 72x24x24 but I have several reasons for that.
1. I wanted the length for the Achilles tang and any other tangs I wanted to add
2. 24 inches high was about all I was willing to have since I'm short. I'm glad I went that route instead of getting the 210 which is the same as this but 30 inches tall. I already almost snorkel to reach the front of the tank. lol Actually I just wait for a water change and mess around in the front when the water is low.
3. ...... Well I forgot number three but there is one. lol

If I had it to do over again, I would have saved a bit, finagled with my husband, and gotten an 8 foot tank instead. But I think that's just a natural byproduct of the salty addiction. ;)
Thanks, I appreciate your opinion. I did get a quote back for a 72"x30"x22" but not sure I can make it fit and still work on it. :confused:

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE TIME!!

Meet the newest addition to the tank! He's been through a heck of a QT that lasted something like 3 months! I'm writing all about it right now, so that story can wait. For now, just know that he's been through everything a fish can go through. He's pretty skinny now, but he's eating everything I have to offer including Nori daily, LRS fish frenzy, several types of pellets and with multiple feedings every day. He'll fatten up in no time. He's also getting his butt kicked by the purple, but it seems like it has mostly calmed down to an intense dislike instead of murderous intent. lol

@4FordFamily @Humblefish @eatbreakfast @evolved What do you guys think about this behavior? Totally normal yes? Getting better like I think?
Check it out
21557966_2056313141060851_3361636103990893007_n.jpg

First day in the tank... well... minutes into the tank.

two days ago

And today

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful PT! Is he still beating up on him?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful PT! Is he still beating up on him?

Thanks Rev! Yes, he is but it seems like more of an after-thought. Like "oh yeah, you're still here and I still don't like you". A quick spar and off they go back to their own business. The poor hippo tang has cuts everywhere, but the PT has gotten a few as well so the Hippo isn't a pushover. :)

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope the hepatus starts to take more interest in food - she looks like she could use a sandwich or two.

she's actually eating everything I put in the tank. I feed a variety of good foods, and am feeding multiple times a day (which my reef isn't really appreciating I'm sure) to help her put on that weight. She's just so darn skinny right now :(

Blue Carbon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely looks like the aggression has died down from the first day. It sounds like the Pacific Blue went through a lot to make it to its permanent home. I had to laugh a little when you were smacking the glass. :D It reminds me like any pet (dogs, cats, etc..) they don't always do what you want them to do. I hope you are in the clear. I am sure know what to do if it continues but a couple of things come to mind so I wanted to contribute a couple of thoughts. You could always get a second algae clip and put in nori on opposite ends of the tank. That may allow the pacific blue a place to eat in peace or the purple to realize there are options and feel less of a need to compete for food. Or you could always remove the Purple for a couple of weeks then re-introduce him. I would only do that if the aggression remained like the first video. I also consider you one of the fish experts so I am sure you have thought about all of these options. :) Love the tank! I am definitely following along!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely looks like the aggression has died down from the first day. It sounds like the Pacific Blue went through a lot to make it to its permanent home. I had to laugh a little when you were smacking the glass. :D It reminds me like any pet (dogs, cats, etc..) they don't always do what you want them to do. I hope you are in the clear. I am sure know what to do if it continues but a couple of things come to mind so I wanted to contribute a couple of thoughts. You could always get a second algae clip and put in nori on opposite ends of the tank. That may allow the pacific blue a place to eat in peace or the purple to realize there are options and feel less of a need to compete for food. Or you could always remove the Purple for a couple of weeks then re-introduce him. I would only do that if the aggression remained like the first video. I also consider you one of the fish experts so I am sure you have thought about all of these options. :) Love the tank! I am definitely following along!

Thanks for the ideas! Yes, I had considered these things and as of today they are all getting along pretty well. The Regal is out front swimming around and exploring and the Purple seems to only scuffle with him a little now.

Oh!! Yes, I smacked the glass a couple times, but darnit... I was scolding myself for it. I ended up getting a flashlight and shining it at the PT to chase him away from the Regal that first night. Worked like a charm and didn't stress the other fish ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ideas! Yes, I had considered these things and as of today they are all getting along pretty well. The Regal is out front swimming around and exploring and the Purple seems to only scuffle with him a little now.

Oh!! Yes, I smacked the glass a couple times, but darnit... I was scolding myself for it. I ended up getting a flashlight and shining it at the PT to chase him away from the Regal that first night. Worked like a charm and didn't stress the other fish ;)
I had a lot of luck hanging a plastic locker mirror on the outside of the tank facing in when I made a second attempt to introduce a convict tang. It worked great!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lot of luck hanging a plastic locker mirror on the outside of the tank facing in when I made a second attempt to introduce a convict tang. It worked great!

You know what? I had a small mirror that I placed in front of the tank as an afterthought The only one who paid it any attention was the Kole tang lol.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what? I had a small mirror that I placed in front of the tank as an afterthought The only one who paid it any attention was the Kole tang lol.
Hey we need an update shot!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey we need an update shot!

It's all deep blue right now and difficult for me to get a shot on the weekends. I'll give it a shot on sunday otherwise it will have to wait until Monday (day off). It's coming though!!!

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebrasoma's can be mean most of the times, Hope that the blue tang is doing good by now, please update us

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back