Meredith's 180 In-wall happy place

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I saw some used by a Canadian refeer that goes by reefer grrl and it sounds pretty interesting. I’ve also heard through the years to never touch it but she made it sound like really coarse sand with a lot of microbiology going on.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some awesome fish you have in quarantine! Hope all goes well with them through the process. Glad to see an update and you coming back to post!

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a totally different experience, the grunge was sand and small rubble that was full of worms, pods, coraline algae, micro brittles. It's a bit of stuff out of their established tanks. I have had this tank up since July with only one water change and I am totally coraline covered and I have only done 3 10ish gallon water changes just to suck detritus out of the sump and display substrate.
Here is a link so you can check it out:
http://www.garf.org/algae2/janitor.shtml#grunge

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello!! I'm dropping back in again. No picture updates to share today but I do have news.

I ended up losing my copperband butterfly unfortunately. He was back in the display and eating aggressively as usual, then just stopped one day and the next was stuck to the MP40 when I got home from work. No outward signs of anything wrong with him so I suspect internal issues. Possibly caused by the two 3 month QT's it went through and exposure to all the meds.
The Purple Tang is still sulking, though I now think it has more to do with the achilles tang usurping it before the velvet outbreak as that's when the sulking started. What a cry baby! He's fine, just not swimming all over the tank like he used to. He'll probably get fat and become a "couch potato fish".

The good news here is that I have a new batch of fish in the QT. I got a lot of gift cards for christmas (the biggest from my husband who knows exactly what I want) and went a little crazy with them.
My QT is chocked full of fish:
5 squampinis anthias
female bellus angel
lubbock's fairy wrasse
sailfin fairy wrasse
exquisite fairy wrasse
Pair of Spotcinctus Clowns (beautiful!!!)

and I think that's it. Yup!! I went a little... ok A LOT crazy with my Christmas fish. lol They are all beautiful and eating well. I'm going copper this time around since I have all the wrasses and anthias in there. I really hope I didn't just jinx my luck with them with this post!

That is quite the list! I've never even heard of squampinis anthia before! Good luck with them!

Ew. Thanks for the heads up, though I don't think I was going to get any anyway. My display has enough problems without throwing in random things in hopes that it will work! Ha!

My understanding is that Garf Grunge has been very hit or miss since the founder died. His family restarted the business but hasn't recaptured the magic.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some awesome fish you have in quarantine! Hope all goes well with them through the process. Glad to see an update and you coming back to post!

Thanks!! I'm really happy with them so far. We'll just have to wait and see if my terrible luck continues. Hopefully not. :D
Well hey! Welcome back stranger haha
Thanks!!
I had a totally different experience, the grunge was sand and small rubble that was full of worms, pods, coraline algae, micro brittles. It's a bit of stuff out of their established tanks. I have had this tank up since July with only one water change and I am totally coraline covered and I have only done 3 10ish gallon water changes just to suck detritus out of the sump and display substrate.
Here is a link so you can check it out:
http://www.garf.org/algae2/janitor.shtml#grunge
I'll have to look at it. Thanks for the link.
That is quite the list! I've never even heard of squampinis anthia before! Good luck with them!

My understanding is that Garf Grunge has been very hit or miss since the founder died. His family restarted the business but hasn't recaptured the magic.

Lyretail = squampinis I got all females and will let one become male.
upload_2018-1-13_20-25-35.jpeg

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture time! It's been a while. Yes, I know I have an algae problem lol. I admit it! Ha!

20180115_181203.jpg
20180115_181208.jpg
20180115_181215.jpg

The current QT. the lubbock's wrasse is having issues all of a sudden so he has been transferred to a non medicated QT. I hope he pulls through.
20180115_181304.jpg
20180115_181310.jpg

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat the tank with fluconazole. It will clear up the algae issues.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat the tank with fluconazole. It will clear up the algae issues.
I tried that and it didn't touch it. I guess I could try it again... Hmmmm
Looking good! Hope the wrasse pulls thru ok.

Thanks! Me too. He is upside down and have a lot of difficulty swimming but he ate a little today.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that and it didn't touch it. I guess I could try it again... Hmmmm
Do you think it is bryopsis? I've never heard of fluco not working on that.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mely, Life gets in the way so I do not post often but just to let you know I am rooting for you. Hope every fish pulls through.

Cheers and good luck.
Thanks!! Most of the new batch are doing very well so far. (knocks on wood)
Good Luck! Hope all of them make through the QT.
Thank you! Me too!
Do you think it is bryopsis? I've never heard of fluco not working on that.
No, it doesn't look anything like the bryopsis I've seen in the past. It's more like a very thick hair algae. It grows at a phenominal rate, is very slimy and snotty, no bubbles or anything that leads me to think it would be dinos. The 200 hermits I added do make a dent eating it, but apparently they aren't staying on the rocks all the time.
I've tried:
Flucanazole
GFO in a reactor
Nitrates and phosphates read zero, though I just bought new test kits to be sure of that. Testing will be done shortly.
siphoning it out with weekly water changes
I've lowered the intensity and length of time the lights are on
Tangs don't touch it
Seahare doesn't eat much of it at all. He seems to prefer the nori on a clip.

It's out-competing my refugium. The macro algae hasn't died, but it's not growing anymore and actually this algae has moved in there as well. It's frustrating, but I'm working on it. I've never had a ton of luck with this tank.... at least not good luck lol.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! Most of the new batch are doing very well so far. (knocks on wood)

Thank you! Me too!

No, it doesn't look anything like the bryopsis I've seen in the past. It's more like a very thick hair algae. It grows at a phenominal rate, is very slimy and snotty, no bubbles or anything that leads me to think it would be dinos. The 200 hermits I added do make a dent eating it, but apparently they aren't staying on the rocks all the time.
I've tried:
Flucanazole
GFO in a reactor
Nitrates and phosphates read zero, though I just bought new test kits to be sure of that. Testing will be done shortly.
siphoning it out with weekly water changes
I've lowered the intensity and length of time the lights are on
Tangs don't touch it
Seahare doesn't eat much of it at all. He seems to prefer the nori on a clip.

It's out-competing my refugium. The macro algae hasn't died, but it's not growing anymore and actually this algae has moved in there as well. It's frustrating, but I'm working on it. I've never had a ton of luck with this tank.... at least not good luck lol.
Have you tried Vibrant? Once I figured out how to use it I came to love it.

And what are you using as a fuge light?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried Vibrant? Once I figured out how to use it I came to love it.

And what are you using as a fuge light?

I used vibrant at the shop and ended up with cyano in both tanks I used it in. I wonder what I did wrong if it works so well for others. Hmm. I simply followed the directions on the bottle. Any tips? I still have some left.

My fuge light is a Fluval LED. It's done wonders for years..... until now.

Myk

Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Vibrant. We have had a lot of good feedback on it from clients and customers!

I am just picking up on this thread late and you have probably already mentioned it, but what kind of lighting set up do you have?

BTW, I just want to say thank you. I am fairly newly active here on the site and have learned a lot from your posts in regards to medications especially the medication sensitivity chart has been a great quick reference for me and my employees here at the shop!

Myk

Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your current pH and KH reading at?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Vibrant. We have had a lot of good feedback on it from clients and customers!

I am just picking up on this thread late and you have probably already mentioned it, but what kind of lighting set up do you have?

BTW, I just want to say thank you. I am fairly newly active here on the site and have learned a lot from your posts in regards to medications especially the medication sensitivity chart has been a great quick reference for me and my employees here at the shop!

Like I said, I have terrible luck using things that work for everybody else it seems. If I did something wrong in following the directions on the bottle, then I'll give it another shot if I can get some pointers.

My lighting is listed in my signature below every post I make. I have 3 RapidLED Onyx fixtures. I can check the intensity for you, but that will take a minute since I have to remember how to get to that place on my apex. lol I know how, I just have to remember it. ;) I also have two MH lights that are set pretty high up and run for 2 hours a day.

I'll have to go do that testing so I can give current readings. Hang on.... brb

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back