0   0   0
Thanks for the update! It looks great!

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!! I agree I’m so sick of algae I could scream.. love the fish selection:)

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love that black cap basslet! so hard to find them these days

I love him too! He's HUGE! I get them pretty regularly at the shop, but it's probably because I like them so much I make an extra effort to get them in. I think at least half of my customers have them in their tanks lol.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking good. I am glad you posted some updates. So what did you do to reduce the algae?

Thanks! I'm using NoPox and added 300'ish hermits to the tank. Well, and the foxface I added is helping a little big. I still have some thick patches of it around the tank, but a good portion of the algae is being held at bay.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about scraping the idea of a reef tank for the most part and going with some non-reef safe fish. Large angels, butterflies, a harlequin tusk... like that. I figure I'll keep the corals in there that I have and if one of the fish eats one, then it was a nutritious treat for it. I'll move some of my favs over to the coral frag tank of course and keep them. It's just a thought.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need a second tank for a fowler, you know to balance the room. And yes, I'm a troublemaker. :)

lol. Yup, that's a recipe for trouble! I'd be the first to do it too, but I literally have no room for it in my tiny house. I've already taken up one of my only three bedrooms for my tank, so I think that's all I'll get.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about scraping the idea of a reef tank for the most part and going with some non-reef safe fish. Large angels, butterflies, a harlequin tusk... like that. I figure I'll keep the corals in there that I have and if one of the fish eats one, then it was a nutritious treat for it. I'll move some of my favs over to the coral frag tank of course and keep them. It's just a thought.

I had the same thought about going fish only. Once alk burn got me 6 months ago, some things are ok, the rest just die. Only difference in my thought is to sell the coral that will get eaten. That money will go to buying fish.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was 45 pages of fun... Tanks been an adventure for sure it looks like!

How're the two sets of clowns getting along?

Well my rule breaking in that area didn't net me any luck. They did ok for a while, though only one of the clarkiis made it out of QT. The big female clown was relentless in her chasing the second one down. I put her in "jail" in an acrylic acclimation box for two weeks and she chilled out after that. Unfortunately the big female jumped out of the tank yesterday and I wasn't in time to save her. So NOW I have one clarkii and one orange ocellaris. lol

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think you have to 'scrap' the reef. I keep angels in my tank. It just means that Zoas and fleshy LPS are out. Other kinds of LPS, shrooms and SPS are still fine.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you have to 'scrap' the reef. I keep angels in my tank. It just means that Zoas and fleshy LPS are out. Other kinds of LPS, shrooms and SPS are still fine.

If these latest additions work out then I probably wont go with angels or anything like that. It was just a thought from somebody who was very frustrated with poor success in adding fish.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood. It's just not always the binary choice many folks think it is. I happen to like my fish more than the corals, so it's an easy trade off for me. My emperor amuses me greatly because he/she goes around grunting periodically.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it could a stress factor with you fish. I don't see any dark hiding spots, being that your tank open front and back. Maybe they just "Wanna get away"

Lol

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back