MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERY1 BTA Question

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys Merry X-mass and happy holidays to everyone.

I have just landed on the 8th month mark since I’ve started my tank and I’m looking to start adding corals. Currently have 3 BTA in a basket on QT tank for 4 weeks. I was wondering if adding all 3 of them to the system would be too much? Also I just got my first ReefDose and will be starting to dose daily once cal-Alk and mag start to drop. Is there a best time to dose? I’ve also been spot feeding them reef chili mixed with reefroids and not sure if I should be actually giving them some shrimp but they seem to love the powder.

Thanks in advance and hope everyone enjoys their holidays!

23BBA135-4360-4F3C-8FD7-0475501CA4D9.jpeg B65B9FE3-2E59-416B-808F-A5E6DA47BB50.jpeg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no they wont really eat reef chilli at all (also while dosing reef chili make sure to monitor phosphate and nitrate) they never really need to be fed and will catch stuff in the water column or the clowns will feed them as well. A little bit of mysis every couple of months is what i do, happy holidays

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no they wont really eat reef chilli at all (also while dosing reef chili make sure to monitor phosphate and nitrate) they never really need to be fed and will catch stuff in the water column or the clowns will feed them as well. A little bit of mysis every couple of months is what i do, happy holidays
Really? I’ve seen them gobble it up and puff up like this. I usually spot feed them every 2 days, happy holidays

2DD4CEFC-E608-48A7-83A9-F9DCADF20C39.jpeg

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine usually just slough it off with mucous, if they are actually eating it, it works. a lot of reefers usually have mysis or LRS reef frenzy which is meatier and a bit easier for the anemone to eat and all the fish will eat it as well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine usually just slough it off with mucous, if they are actually eating it, it works. a lot of reefers usually have mysis or LRS reef frenzy which is meatier and a bit easier for the anemone to eat and all the fish will eat it as well.
Will look into the reef frenzy or I’ll just feed them frozen mysis, do you soak the BTA’s food on anything for better coloration/puffness?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some raw jumbo shrimp at the grocery store. I peel it, cut it up into half in chunks and freeze. I feed once or twice a week.
I’ve heard people doing this, there’s no chance on bringing in a certain bacteria or disease into the tank? I’ve always thought about it but just end up giving them stuff I know is been cleaned from bacteria and stuff

Upvote 0

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just landed on the 8th month mark since I’ve started my tank and I’m looking to start adding corals. .... I was wondering if adding all 3 of them to the system would be too much?.....

Congratulations on reaching 8 months ! You appears to be well along your journey to completing that taxing first year.

As a novice, I will defer to the to the wisdom of the other reefers.

Best wishes, your tank looks awesome , and have a Happy Holidays,

Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on reaching 8 months ! You appears to be well along your journey to completing that taxing first year.

As a novice, I will defer to the to the wisdom of the other reefers.

Best wishes, your tank looks awesome , and have a Happy Holidays,

Jim
It’s amazing how much a tank changes in this time… I remember when the tank was all empty and boom all of the sudden there’s a specific sleeping space for each fish and also about to look better with the corals.
Appreciate the comment on the tank but that’s actually my qt tank, this is my display now and when it was first up and running

Happy holidays!

Attachments

• 38146E9A-B2CA-4F35-B586-6E987E739379.jpeg
    38146E9A-B2CA-4F35-B586-6E987E739379.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 35
  • FDE33538-D37B-414A-B1A9-28B1F0E8ABA3.jpeg
    FDE33538-D37B-414A-B1A9-28B1F0E8ABA3.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I think i had a similar sump to yours below and changing to filter floss (polyfil) has been a game changer for me in my maintenance.
Look into something like this if you havent could be a simple addition to make you life easier and no more dealing with filter socks https://www.fijicube.com/collection...quiet-operation-with-a-200-micron-filter-sock

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice ps5 as well ;) , might want to move it a little further away from the tank in case of incidental, water change, bucket splash

Upvote 0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some raw jumbo shrimp at the grocery store. I peel it, cut it up into half in chunks and freeze. I feed once or twice a week.
Every study I’ve read about anemone nutrition has said that smaller, plankton size food is better (like 95% of gut contents in wild BTAs is plankton size bits) than larger meals. In fact, after a certain point it actually costs the anemone resources to digest it (ie they’re expending more energy to digest it than they are getting from it). A thumbnail sized piece of food is okay occasionally, but the bulk of their diet should be stuff like mysis, brine, reef frenzy, the larger frozen marine plankton, etc. Obviously larger BTAs can eat larger meals, but for the most part, a few pieces of mysis or brine a couple times a week is ideal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I think i had a similar sump to yours below and changing to filter floss (polyfil) has been a game changer for me in my maintenance.
Look into something like this if you havent could be a simple addition to make you life easier and no more dealing with filter socks https://www.fijicube.com/collection...quiet-operation-with-a-200-micron-filter-sock
Was actually looking into that because someone mentioned it to me at my LFS. Will get it next time I get some supplies

Upvote 0

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... that’s actually my qt tank, this is my display now and when it was first up and running

o_O Dang !! Your QT tank is better than many "show tanks."

The "display tank" is very nice too. Love the "Red Light District," the install appears planned, clean, and with neat wiring.

Have a great Holidays and 2022,
Jim

Upvote 0

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every study I’ve read about anemone nutrition has said that smaller, plankton size food is better (like 95% of gut contents in wild BTAs is plankton size bits) than larger meals. In fact, after a certain point it actually costs the anemone resources to digest it (ie they’re expending more energy to digest it than they are getting from it). A thumbnail sized piece of food is okay occasionally, but the bulk of their diet should be stuff like mysis, brine, reef frenzy, the larger frozen marine plankton, etc. Obviously larger BTAs can eat larger meals, but for the most part, a few pieces of mysis or brine a couple times a week is ideal.
Good to know thanks.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back