Merry Christmas Wrasse!

reefrubble

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 23, 2021
Messages
59
Reaction score
77
Location
Fort Collins
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas Wrasse Everybody!

Seeing that it is the Christmas Wrasse's special day of the year, lets see your Christmas Wrasses or other Halichoeres Wrasses to give them the attention and appreciation they deserve! Hopefully they aren't all avoiding the cameras by sleeping in the sand bed!
 
I have no pictures of my wrasses on this computer. :(

Thankfully Walmart does
HalichoeresmelanurusAndyALewisCCbylizard.jpg
98f79c3c-689c-4898-a232-180bcc27a9b2.bbb882eacac722ddd5d048c4165e1059.jpeg
IMG_9666.jpg
 
My two Halichoeres wrasses, unfortunately neither are true christmas wrasses but the radiant does have some of the nicest Christmas colours on it!!
Halichoeres iridis > 3.5”
A830747E-70B9-4593-8C81-43E319AB9645.jpeg

Halichoeres chloropterus > 4-4.5”
3599E963-045C-4EEE-9680-9590E6507635.jpeg
 
H. Ornatissimus, H. Claudia, H. Melanurus and H. Cosmetus have all been labeled as “Christmas Wrasses” at one point or another. Ornatissimus is the largest of the bunch. All are pretty fish but too often come in as males already, not a good thing when it comes to wrasses as that means they are probably 2-3 years old if not more. Terminal males I assume are 4-5 years old.

Personally I wouldn’t buy any wrasse that’s already a male which limits my options, but this is for two reasons:

1. Shorter lifespan and not being able to see the fish change.

2. Males especially supermales don’t ship as well.
 
Last edited:
H. Ornatissimus, H. Claudia, H. Melanurus and H. Cosmetus have all been labeled as “Christmas Wrasses” at one point or another. Ornatissimus is the largest of the bunch. All are pretty fish but too often come in as males already, not a good thing when it comes to wrasses as that means they are probably 2-3 years old if not more. Terminal males I assume are 4-5 years old.

Personally I wouldn’t buy any wrasse that’s already a male which limits my options, but this is for two reasons:

1. Shorter lifespan and not being able to see the fish change.

2. Males especially supermales don’t ship as well.
+1 to this, usually the older males/super males don’t ship too well, younger males can ship pretty well, I unfortunately never get a described female fairy wrasse so I had to go with all males for my fairy wrasses but the two Lubbock’s we’re bought as rather small (less than an inch) which told me they only recently changed. My other wrasses were bought as female/juvenile and the radiant changed to the female colours a few months ago.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new