Mesh lid using BRS kit with screen and spline

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of these and put it together. Goes together fine. Problem is it does not allow for anything to come out of the tank and my Durso's are a little high for it. So, I figured no problem, will make a cutout for it. This did not work so well as the spline will not go on outside corners and it really needs the back piece or the mesh pulls it out of square. Before I go experimenting I was wondering if anyone has an easy solution to make a cutout to go around my overflow.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with needing to work around the RMS mounts for my Radion lights, plus some cords. I just made a square mesh lid, then covered the gaps with some 3D printed panels that sit on the tank rim. The last picture shows one of the panels upside down as it would sit on the print bed, the taller vertical part of it goes down the back side of the tank, and there are notches at both sides near the back for powerhead cords. It's nice because I can tilt up or even remove the screen top without messing with the panels, they just stay in place.

tank-lid-01.jpg
tank-lid-02.jpg
tank-lid-03.jpg

OP
OP
N

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with needing to work around the RMS mounts for my Radion lights, plus some cords. I just made a square mesh lid, then covered the gaps with some 3D printed panels that sit on the tank rim. The last picture shows one of the panels upside down as it would sit on the print bed, the taller vertical part of it goes down the back side of the tank, and there are notches at both sides near the back for powerhead cords. It's nice because I can tilt up or even remove the screen top without messing with the panels, they just stay in place.

tank-lid-01.jpg
tank-lid-02.jpg
tank-lid-03.jpg
So you just made a shorter lid and then covered the gaps with something else? I was considering that. I do not have a 3d printer but I could make something similar with a cheap piece of acrylic and some glue. I am still hoping that someone has a nice solution. I was thinking about using gorillia glue tape to make a solid fused area and then cutting out the area I need to cut out. Not sure if the mesh would tear or not though.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought one of these and put it together. Goes together fine. Problem is it does not allow for anything to come out of the tank and my Durso's are a little high for it. So, I figured no problem, will make a cutout for it. This did not work so well as the spline will not go on outside corners and it really needs the back piece or the mesh pulls it out of square. Before I go experimenting I was wondering if anyone has an easy solution to make a cutout to go around my overflow.
I remember seeing a thread where someone used a piece of 1/4" clear acrylic for the back part of the cover. They made it just wide enough to accommodate the cutouts they needed, and still be sturdy enough to help support the back part of the screen top.
Not sure how they attached the acrylic to the screen top. Maybe glue, screws?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back