Metal halide heat

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48" Spectra. I have two cheap fans from Amazon clipped on the end and programmed on my Apex. I have at most a 2 degree temperature swing in the summer. I love this light and my corals love it more. You will be very happy with your purchase. No regrets.
Giesemann Spectra.jpeg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a vornado or honeywell fan on the same timer as the lights keeps my tank never moving a degree. We don't usually run the AC and there is a few weeks where it gets nearly 100, but it is in the 50s at night so the attic fan keeps the house cool for the most part.

Fans alone can usually get the job done, but not computer fans no matter how powerful they are. I once had a tank in a busy area and a big fan was not going to work, so I got a chiller for it.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on how you like the light? can we see a front shot of the tank? Just wondering why you choose the metal halide over LED like radions or others similar?

OP
OP
Acrofiend

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Any updates on how you like the light? can we see a front shot of the tank? Just wondering why you choose the metal halide over LED like radions or others similar?

It’s doing fine. My acros are still growing but trying to get used to the halides. I do miss my t5’s though. I was able to grow and color acros on the corner of my tank with the t5’s. Where now they’re growing but lost their color. I’ve had radions before but didn’t have much success but only had them for 6 months or so.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s doing fine. My acros are still growing but trying to get used to the halides. I do miss my t5’s though. I was able to grow and color acros on the corner of my tank with the t5’s. Where now they’re growing but lost their color. I’ve had radions before but didn’t have much success but only had them for 6 months or so.
They didn't "loose their colors" under halides. They are adapting to the lights. Takes time. They will look different with other pigments and you just have to hope you will like those pigments because under halides those pigments will be the closest you could get to how they looked in the ocean.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had the Radions and did not have success with them? 6 months is not enough time to judge a light. Radions are very good light, maybe other parameters were not in balance at the time. i hope you give the MH more than 6 months before changing lights.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back