Metal Halides are the bomb

You think 2x 250w fixtures would be enough for an Acropora dominate system? I'd likely add actinic Reef Brites on each side.

With the MH being outside of a canopy, does the MH affect the water temperature much?
People complain about heat from MH, but 99% of them are running it in a canopy. Just curious, if the heat is a non issue on open tanks.
I have no heat issues. I ran an 8 bulb ati 4" off the surface before going to halides.

I do run a 10" fan in the sump when the halides are on.

I would have no issues running 2 20x20's with 250's on your system.
My upgrade will be 72-84x36x20 and plan on the same with OR3 light bars as a supplement.
20210720_132824.jpg
 
I have no heat issues. I ran an 8 bulb ati 4" off the surface before going to halides.

I do run a 10" fan in the sump when the halides are on.

I would have no issues running 2 20x20's with 250's on your system.
My upgrade will be 72-84x36x20 and plan on the same with OR3 light bars as a supplement.
Super helpful! You think there would be a huge difference in heat from a 250w compared to a 400w?
 
Is a screen required on MH fixtures (or recommended)? I feel like the fans would be able to disperse the heat better without one.
 
Screen?
De bulbs have a glass shield.
Single ended, mogal do not meed one but its advised.
I do not have one on my frag system.
Double ended bulbs emit uv but mogals have glass that blocks it.
 
Screen?
De bulbs have a glass shield.
Single ended, mogal do not meed one but its advised.
I do not have one on my frag system.
Double ended bulbs emit uv but mogals have glass that blocks it.
Thank you
 
In reference to a 400w SE bulb, is there any difference between the magnetic and electronic ballast. Any one preform better than the other?
 
In reference to a 400w SE bulb, is there any difference between the magnetic and electronic ballast. Any one preform better than the other?
No. I use an electronic on my frag system.
 
In reference to a 400w SE bulb, is there any difference between the magnetic and electronic ballast. Any one preform better than the other?
The old magnetic ballasts got pretty hot (not just the bulb, the ballast itself) and many people used to swear that the color spectrum was better. If I remember correctly, it had to do with them slightly over driving the bulbs, but that's a decade-old dusty memory. I ran electronic ballasts for my SE 400w mh. Best lights I've ever used. God I hate my kessil.
 
You think 2x 250w fixtures would be enough for an Acropora dominate system? I'd likely add actinic Reef Brites on each side.

With the MH being outside of a canopy, does the MH affect the water temperature much?
People complain about heat from MH, but 99% of them are running it in a canopy. Just curious, if the heat is a non issue on open tanks.
Heat was always an issue for me. There is serious radiant heat that come off of the bulbs and it's pointed at the tank by the reflector. If you have ever seen one of the "heat dish" style space heaters (or googled one) it's the same idea. You can go with fans on a temp controller (apex?) or a real chiller. With fans you will for sure want an ATO.
 
I have a small fan that blows over the top of the water when mh are on and it works awsome and it’s cheap. I also like the fan I think it helps with my ph
 
so I should finally get my giesseman infinity 2*250 w next week and take of my radions 5G :-)
But I have to say that I'm a bit anxious , I'm not sure if I will still like the colours from the hqi? Can we get same colourfully tank with hqi+t5? (I may add some Orphek led bar in the futur.)
I will probably also miss the ramp up and down, I was thinking if maybe there is some a way to fix my radions with the giesseman so that I can still have the ramp up and down? Someone here did it already or have an idea?
How many hours do you run you halides and how high? with how much should I start for the acclimation?
 
so I should finally get my giesseman infinity 2*250 w next week and take of my radions 5G :-)
But I have to say that I'm a bit anxious , I'm not sure if I will still like the colours from the hqi? Can we get same colourfully tank with hqi+t5? (I may add some Orphek led bar in the futur.)
I will probably also miss the ramp up and down, I was thinking if maybe there is some a way to fix my radions with the giesseman so that I can still have the ramp up and down? Someone here did it already or have an idea?
How many hours do you run you halides and how high? with how much should I start for the acclimation?
Here is my 120 with 1 OR3 blue sky and 2 250 de 14K MH on hqi ballasts.
Just got the IceCap macro lens kit so colors are true.
I think you will be happy!
I just hung another OR3 blue plus but dont have a pick yet.
I will get one up today on my build thread.
Halide 8hrs
OR3 9HRS
12 " off the surface.
20210803_162907.jpg
20210803_162900.jpg
20210803_162853.jpg
 
I’ve been thinking a fair bit about this but the question of heat stops me from seriously considering MH.
On 220G tank with 15 inches of room - what MH lights would be suggested and how much heat do they generate? Would I need a chiller?
I’ve been leaning towards Orphek Atlantik for this reason (power and heat)
 
I’ve been thinking a fair bit about this but the question of heat stops me from seriously considering MH.
On 220G tank with 15 inches of room - what MH lights would be suggested and how much heat do they generate? Would I need a chiller?
I’ve been leaning towards Orphek Atlantik for this reason (power and heat)
I ran 8 t5's 4" off the surface and now 2 250's 12" off the surface with no change in tank temp. I run a 10" fan in the sump when the lights are on.
I do keep the house at 75° in the summer with no heater in the sump.
I run lumen bright reflectors on my 120 and a 20x20 hamilton 250 on my 36x24x12" deep frag system with no heat issues. Same fan in sump.
 
I ran 8 t5's 4" off the surface and now 2 250's 12" off the surface with no change in tank temp. I run a 10" fan in the sump when the lights are on.
I do keep the house at 75° in the summer with no heater in the sump.
I run lumen bright reflectors on my 120 and a 20x20 hamilton 250 on my 36x24x12" deep frag system with no heat issues. Same fan in sump.
Interesting - so sounds like I might need 2x250 for a 72 inch tank.

the other question I have is regarding cost. I would think MH’s would be cheaper - but looking at the prices - unless I’m missing something it seems more expensive - both in terms of initial investment and the on-going cost. Is this an accurate conclusion?
 
Interesting - so sounds like I might need 2x250 for a 72 inch tank.

the other question I have is regarding cost. I would think MH’s would be cheaper - but looking at the prices - unless I’m missing something it seems more expensive - both in terms of initial investment and the on-going cost. Is this an accurate conclusion?
I run 2 on my 4' 120 so you would need 3 for a 6' tank.
My reflectors were $110.
Hamiltons $130.
Electronic ballasts $60.
Lamps $50.
I run double ended 250's on my 120 and single/mogals on my frag system.
De require a hqi ballast so $150 each.
So mogals with electronic ballasts would run around $250 each.
You can get 3 for the price of 1 radion at least here in the US.
 
I run 2 on my 4' 120 so you would need 3 for a 6' tank.
My reflectors were $110.
Hamiltons $130.
Electronic ballasts $60.
Lamps $50.
I run double ended 250's on my 120 and single/mogals on my frag system.
De require a hqi ballast so $150 each.
So mogals with electronic ballasts would run around $250 each.
You can get 3 for the price of 1 radion at least here in the US.

thanks for the info. That’s helpful! Clearly I need to do more research on the cost front

I’ve heard/read some people saying then can only run them for 4-6 hours a day - presumably b/c they are too powerful and cause bleaching? Is this a real issue?
 
thanks for the info. That’s helpful! Clearly I need to do more research on the cost front

I’ve heard/read some people saying then can only run them for 4-6 hours a day - presumably b/c they are too powerful and cause bleaching? Is this a real issue?
Depending on your system and other lights you could run then less.
I have a thread where I run a 600 watt 7k for 6hrs.
It was ony 36x24x12 frag system.
I took it down as the energy was not needed and was a test. Corals grew very fast. I am back to the 250.
I may run them on an upgrage im planning with OR3 light bars to adjust the color.
I would only run them for the 4-6 hour peak and only 2 20x20 fixtures over a 6' tank.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new