Methylene Blue / Malachite Green

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the directions, there are only two safe treatment options when using Methylene Blue:

Option #1 - In a QT (recommended)

• Add 1 teaspoon of Methylene Blue per 10 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 3 ppm. Continue the treatment for 3 to 5 days.
  • Return fish to the DT
Option #2 - Quick bath solution (allows just enough time for the gill tissue to absorb some of the medication)
  • Place fish in a 5 gallon bucket using aquarium water.
  • Add 5 teaspoons of Methylene Blue per 3 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 50 ppm.
  • Place fish in this solution for no longer than 10 seconds.
  • Return fish to DT (pour a little aquarium water over the fish to "wash away" any excess medication, but DO NOT rinse any away from the gills.)
I've always used Option #1 even when doing a short 60 min bath. However, Carl Strohmeyer (whom I greatly admire) advocates 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons (double dose) for 30 mins: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html#methylene_blue
My preferred use of Methylene Blue is a bath.
To prepare this bath I use 1 teaspoon 2.303% solution per 5 gallons (double dose) in a bath of aquarium water from the tank the fish you wish to treat came from, I usually use about a ½ gallon of water, however you may use less.
Measurement of the Methylene Blue does not need to be precise as this bath should be used for about 30 minutes (although do not grossly overdose).
You may also add salts to your bath to improve effectiveness for certain problems when preparing baths for freshwater fish (such as swim bladder, dropsy or unknown problems). Generally I would use 1 teaspoon of sodium chloride (regular salt) per gallon and occasionally ¼ teaspoon of Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate) per gallon.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the directions, there are only two safe treatment options when using Methylene Blue:

Option #1 - In a QT (recommended)

• Add 1 teaspoon of Methylene Blue per 10 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 3 ppm. Continue the treatment for 3 to 5 days.
  • Return fish to the DT
Option #2 - Quick bath solution (allows just enough time for the gill tissue to absorb some of the medication)
  • Place fish in a 5 gallon bucket using aquarium water.
  • Add 5 teaspoons of Methylene Blue per 3 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 50 ppm.
  • Place fish in this solution for no longer than 10 seconds.
  • Return fish to DT (pour a little aquarium water over the fish to "wash away" any excess medication, but DO NOT rinse any away from the gills.)
I've always used Option #1 even when doing a short 60 min bath. However, Carl Strohmeyer (whom I greatly admire) advocates 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons (double dose) for 30 mins: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html#methylene_blue

Thats interesting. I've used a product called safety stop, which a two part 45 minute bath for each part. The first is formalin, the second is methylene blue. I was hoping to be able to replicate that. It worked pretty well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How of the M Green would I need for a 30 minute bath/dip?

Haven't used M Green in forever, so I would defer to the dosage instructions found here: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication3.html#malachite_green
DOSAGE: 1 teaspoon of a 0.038% solution per 10 gallons every other day for 10-14 days. Or 1 drop of .50% solution per gallon every other day for 10- 14 days. 25% water changes are recommended before each dose. Use half dose for scale-less and delicate fish such as Clown Loaches and Neon Tetras. Double dose for marine aquariums.

There's no mention of dosage for a short term bath like with M Blue.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is Kordons.

I found a UK website that talks about using it as a 30 min bath: http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/malachite.htm
Bath: 1-2 mg malachite per litre water for 30 - 60 minutes. Higher dose only for large fish, such as koi, in hard water. This equates with 1 ml stock solution per 20 - 40 litres of water. Can be repeated every other day for a maximum of four treatments.

So, following those directions I wouldn't exceed more than 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per 5 gallons of water. Even for that bath.

What are you trying to accomplish with the bath?

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back