Micro and nano bubble tank treatment

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried putting the airstone about 1 inch below my mp10 with the air valve closed about half way. Not really getting that fog or mist look.
Although the bubbles helped a lot in revealing dead spots in my tank LOL

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running this technick for 4 days now. I don't think my bubbles are as small as suggested but things seem to be looking better. I have much better extension of polyps and the rock looks much cleaner . I am bare bottom so there is still areas where detritus collects but otherwise the tank looks better. I am using a gyre for glow and it keeps the bubbles moving for quite some time. Skimmer has produced more gunk then usual but not huge amounts. This tank is corals and shrimp only so not a lot of nasty stuff floating around to remove.

rob.makowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think figures it out sort of, but I'm not getting nearly the bubbles in the display that I was expecting definitely not a fog. I'm also seeing large air bubbles coming out of my returns in the display. I'm not sure what else I can do.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been on the bubble wagon here for a bit now and nothing but good results. Less mess blowing off rocks. Filthy looking skim in the am in collection cup. Clearer water. Better coloration and extension in polyps. I'm sold. Can't tell ya why it works, but I agree that it is beneficial. I bubble for 6hrs beginning 2 hrs after lights out.
IMG_7374.JPG
IMG_7375.JPG

DSD1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I've been doing this for about a week and I'm having great results. My sand and rocks are much clearer.
c6a9d5e35cf5e26dd73167c3ee7e04ef.jpg
e463869eb13e20749b723e87ba6e7757.jpg

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took that baffle out of the sump. I have the air stone in the same place as before. I'm still not getting the "fog" in my display. I don't know if not enough bubbles are getting sucked into the return pump, or I'm doing so.ethi get else wrong. One thing I have noticed, is that I have to have to air stone on the opposite side (from to back) from the return pump. The air stone is creating such as up draft in the baffle, that the bubbles have to move across the sump to actually get sucked under and have the possibility of getting into the return.

I'm sort of at a loss. I've removed all valves from the airline feeding the air stone, and I'm running a intake to fresh air. Any other suggestions?
How many GPH is your return pump?

If you're not getting as much fine bubbles as you'd prefer, scoot the air stone closer to the return pump intake...
The amount of flow from the return pump drives the laminar flow between the weir and the return pump chamber... the slower the flow, the less shearing of the bubbles you're getting at the air stone...

If you have a large weir baffle with slow flow, try blocking off half of the weir with a black block sponge... this will increase your flow rate for the open half of the weir...

Increase Flow in Weir.jpg

rob.makowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many GPH is your return pump?

If you're not getting as much fine bubbles as you'd prefer, scoot the air stone closer to the return pump intake...
The amount of flow from the return pump drives the laminar flow between the weir and the return pump chamber... the slower the flow, the less shearing of the bubbles you're getting at the air stone...

If you have a large weir baffle with slow flow, try blocking off half of the weir with a black block sponge... this will increase your flow rate for the open half of the weir...

Increase Flow in Weir.jpg
Could you point me in the direction of a sponge like this?

rob.makowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/poret-foam-shop/
Don't forget to occasionally rinse out the sponge. You will need the sponge to fit snuggly into the weir...
So the highest PPI foam they sell should work for my situation. That way the water coming over the weir has a path of least resistance on the side without the foam, causing the flow to speed up, and more bubbles to shear and get picked up by the return pump. Does this analysis seem correct?

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the highest PPI foam they sell should work for my situation. That way the water coming over the weir has a path of least resistance on the side without the foam, causing the flow to speed up, and more bubbles to shear and get picked up by the return pump. Does this analysis seem correct?
That is the premise and that is the correct assumption... :)

When you narrow a channel (reduce the cross sectional area of a channel), the velocity of the fluid increases.
Be aware that the level will slightly increase in the previous section (skimmer or refugium) but as water pressure increases with height, it will stabilize with the increase in flow based on pressure differential.
:)

czhao1009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @czhao1009

How are things progressing? :)
I'm not sure if the bubbles are small enough. I will try to record a video when I get back tonight.
I let it run all night for the past few days and I *think* I'm seeing a bit more polyp extension on the corals. The skimmer is definitely producing darker skimmate :)

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this every night for the past few months and everything is very happy, now I don't have anything special set up except the air stone tied into an elbow of pvc (because it kept floating in my return chamber) bubbles aren't that obvious but huge bubbles aren't going to the display they are bursting in the return section of my sump. Loving this, polyp extention is insane!

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not set up the airstone according the diagram yet, but for now at least I oriented it so the bubbles coming out on the sides.
The bubbles seem to flow around the entire tank, however I wouldn't call it mist or fog looking.

3be783f7d298d9963d785d531acb972a.jpg

186595644bd495c89be0073cda6df03f.jpg
What mode do you have the MP at?

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this every night for the past few months and everything is very happy, now I don't have anything special set up except the air stone tied into an elbow of pvc (because it kept floating in my return chamber) bubbles aren't that obvious but huge bubbles aren't going to the display they are bursting in the return section of my sump. Loving this, polyp extention is insane!
Excellent, @Hyde2406!! :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back