OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this video on YouTube:

I personally do not have time for all the negativity and bickering going on here, so I will step aside from the "debate" and only comment from time to time and when it suits me!
However, I'm glad that this posting has prompted such an interesting discussion, by most people......this is the bedrock of scientific endeavours.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done to that person, there are some serious bubbles happening, also some serious salt creep probably, but you have to weigh the good with the bad!

The bubbles are so fine that a mist comes off the top of the water and is actually airborne. So I guess you may run into a bit of salt creep, but not very much.

Honestly, I think I'm doubling the output of Elegant Corals.

Mine is almost exactly like this. The surface of the water in my tank looks exactly the same. The tank will cloud completely and the bubbles stay suspended for a while with all flow off. A micro bubble should stay suspended in the water column for at least 3-4 minutes without flow.

So if I double the output of EC, I should get better and faster results. I think the liquid smoke white milky looks is more output and more bubbles in the water column. That's my opinion.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm think this is 10x more efficient than what EC is producing.

Look at this video, watch the timer on the clock after the bubbles are stopped. They stay suspended in water column for about 4 minutes.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have super fine bubbles, it will fizz if close to the surface and sound like a carbonated soda. Plus look milky white. IMO, the whiter the bubbles, the more there are and finer they are.

Brad Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefahholic Where did you buy the camix system? I feel the same as you the finer the bubble the more efficient the bubble will be

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefahholic Where did you buy the camix system? I feel the same as you the finer the bubble the more efficient the bubble will be

I didn't buy it, I just basically did the DIY version. You can do it easily. They just bleed in air on some of the pumps. If you have a small return pump it may not work well. Just bleed air into the inlet of your pump. I use a valve to do it and drill my pump at the inlet to keep the line there, but you don't have to drill your pump. You can just zip tie the line or rig it.

People do it for koi ponds which is how I knew about it from a while back.

Check out this video.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some food for thought. This is what a venturi can do.

Low flow and high flow.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just awesome bubbles, but I think you'll agree quality or size is what we're after :D

We need to get one of these :)
http://www.shimadzu.com/an/powder/sald-7500nano.html

Indeed, we are after a good quality bubble! he he..

Definitely after the elusive micro-bubbles! We do need one of those machines. Then we could surely measure and find out what makes the smallest bubbles.

I you have more volume and smaller bubble, you are looking at waaaay more surface area and thus shorter treatment times.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think huge confusion has arisen over very simple terminology, we are after the true nano-bubble, the one that conforms to weird van der Waals state and departure from the ideal gas law.

Agreed, the smaller the better :)

Yeah, It's definitely not rocket science. That's my take on it. The milky white looking smoke is what I want. I don't think the bubbles are populated enough if you can see the back of the tank, but that's just me. If people want a clear tank while they're scrubbin' then go for it. It just means you won't have near the amount of bubbles. I want to see what really works well. If I completely saturate the reef... in my head ill see better results in less time. :)

OP
OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my head ill see better results in less time.

If by that you mean the electrical impulses going from the photoreceptors in your retina, through the ganglion cells and nerve fibres of the optic nerve to the visual cortex of the brain, then yes, because you will see those results with your own eyes, in time :)

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, did you guys see the idea I had of using the hanna checker to access the amount of micro-nano bubbles? It might work...

OP
OP
Squamosa

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, did you guys see the idea I had of using the hanna checker to access the amount of micro-nano bubbles? It might work...
Interesting, you could very well get some sort of reading (without using the reagent) and then develop a standard or set of time standards, before, during and for time periods after.

Your before test results would vary because the amount of particulates you would have in your water at any given time of the day would vary and from day to day I expect also.
So you couldn't compare day to day readings as you would need to standardise them some how, but if it was different units you wanted to test for bubble producing effects one after the other (waiting the required time for the water to settle of course) then I think it would work, you could get some round about value, hell, it's worth exploring even for a laugh.

It wouldn't tell you anything about bubble size though :)

Apologies if you said all this on another thread, I didn't read that one!

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, you could very well get some sort of reading (without using the reagent) and then develop a standard or set of time standards, before, during and for time periods after.

Your before test results would vary because the amount of particulates you would have in your water at any given time of the day would vary and from day to day I expect also.
So you couldn't compare day to day readings as you would need to standardise them some how, but if it was different units you wanted to test for bubble producing effects one after the other (waiting the required time for the water to settle of course) then I think it would work, you could get some round about value, hell, it's worth exploring even for a laugh.

It wouldn't tell you anything about bubble size though :)

Apologies if you said all this on another thread, I didn't read that one!

I had the impression of particles in the water right before the light to turn on would be similar in different days (I did not think there would be a lot of variation even throughout the day in most cases, but I have a sleeper goby, so...) I will try check how it varies between different days. My plan is to use RODI water as zero and measure it at the same time of the day (after 20 minutes the last burst of bubbles). Of course this is a crude method, and if the micro-nano bubbles really increase the amount of suspended detritus, that may also be part of the turbidity. Anyways, it might not work, but it would be great to have some type of measurement of the micro-nano bubbles density. Mostly because it might explain why the treatment works or does not work in some cases.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 34 21.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back