Micro Goni Care

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I won this WWC Crimson Micro Goni coral online. It arrived last week and still doesn't have great polyp extension. Here's the picture of their WYSIWYG before I got it. I attached a picture of what it looks like currently. It gets moderate indirect light as well as moderate flow. Any suggestions??
upload_2017-12-17_20-3-8.png
IMG_1852.JPG

upload_2017-12-17_20-3-8.png

d5332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 you did not win it, you purchased it. That's the psych or the whole live sale or auction process
#2 Never expect enhanced photos to look exactly the same in your tank
# 3 Goniopora is a hard coral to keep, its been only a week, give it 1 more week
I cannot tell you what to do right now to make it survive. In really well maintained aquariums they survive for longer periods of time.
In average aquariums such coral does not do well, even when they open, they will eventually close up and die.

No one is going to be able to tell you what to do other than wait. if you have a really well maintained tank it may survive but pinpointing different aspects of the tank to make 1 single frag survive is fools gold.

OP
OP
KMench

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...

I was looking more along the lines for advice from those who have been able to keep them successfully. I.e. light, flow, and feeding for those successful. I haven’t been able to find much online about their care and know that people have had some success with them in recent years.

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one also from their live sale. The polyps are tiny but it does get bushy. I have been feeding goniapora by shutting down the flow and when the water stops moving I put some goniapira in a cup of tank water, stir it in and pour it over the coral and let it feed. Mine is also in moderase light and flow. From what I read tiny food like goniapora is key to success.
Good luck.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on winning that auction! I follow them closely every week. From the pieces I have gotten from WWC, I have found them to be exact matches to the photos once in my tank.

I have the fruity pebbles micro and I have it on the bottom with pretty steady indirect flow. I have only spot fed mine once but I feed my tank pretty heavily and it seems to be growing well. The skin bleached a bit when I first put it in my tank as it was directly below my LED.

I don’t believe these are as challenging as some of the regular gonis. I would just give it time and conditions that would be preferable for most lps. If you do choose to feed it directly, I would do something tiny like reef roids, baby brine shrimp or any of the other small particle foods.

Best thing you can do is find it a good place and leave it alone.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a micro? Is that he type that dosnt extend and grows bushy? Thats the only type I have been able to keep long term/ Ihave had one for years i bought from uc. I dont care much for it because its blue and blends in with light and its just a big bush! I almost spend 275.00 today and now I am glad I lost the bid on a glitterbomb! It would probaly die soon the luck I have had. I have one now that is doing great and 2 more that dont extend much anymore and they used to a lot and havnt changed it from the spot it did so well in at first!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back