Micromussa Dying

DavidRZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused as to why my micromussa is dying, I have torches, blasto, zoa and favia that all seem to be doing quite well.

Two frags were added 6 months ago, and 6 more frags were added 4 weeks ago.

Alk: 9.2
Phos: 0.03
Calcium: 500

I received a Triton test a few weeks ago that confirmed these Hanna tests (within a few %). The test did show a bit of tin, which I found odd. No other metals. I've since added Cuprisorb to manage this (and any other) metal. Could this be the cause or is there anything else that I should look for?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm confused as to why my micromussa is dying, I have torches, blasto, zoa and favia that all seem to be doing quite well.

Two frags were added 6 months ago, and 6 more frags were added 4 weeks ago.

Alk: 9.2
Phos: 0.03
Calcium: 500

I received a Triton test a few weeks ago that confirmed these Hanna tests (within a few %). The test did show a bit of tin, which I found odd. No other metals. I've since added Cuprisorb to manage this (and any other) metal. Could this be the cause or is there anything else that I should look for?
Tin always seem to show up on ICP
Any pics of coral under white light ?
When too close to sand, they seem to get irritated when sand lands on them. Moderate light and wwater flow and feed mysis 2x per week. Also foe them, add amini and stronium occasionally

OP
OP
D

DavidRZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tin always seem to show up on ICP
Any pics of coral under white light ?
When too close to sand, they seem to get irritated when sand lands on them. Moderate light and wwater flow and feed mysis 2x per week. Also foe them, add amini and stronium occasionally

Thanks for the quick reply. I feed mysis to my tank regularly, I've never fed it directly to my micro's though. Do you just lightly blast them with a turkey baster full of mysis?

I cultivate baby brine regularly, could I do the same with the baby brine? What about phyto?

I believe they are getting what I'd consider "moderate flow". Par is less then 100, likely closer to 75. I ran a par meter through the tank not long after I set it up and haven't changed the settings so that should be about what they are getting.

That is good to hear about tin. I was confused as to where it was coming from. Hopefully a few weeks with the Cuprisorb manages the level a bit.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply. I feed mysis to my tank regularly, I've never fed it directly to my micro's though. Do you just lightly blast them with a turkey baster full of mysis?

I cultivate baby brine regularly, could I do the same with the baby brine? What about phyto?

I believe they are getting what I'd consider "moderate flow". Par is less then 100, likely closer to 75. I ran a par meter through the tank not long after I set it up and haven't changed the settings so that should be about what they are getting.

That is good to hear about tin. I was confused as to where it was coming from. Hopefully a few weeks with the Cuprisorb manages the level a bit.
I broadcast feed but you can give them a small squirt of mysis

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this Micromussa lordhowensis, AKA what we used to call Acan Lords, or something else? That would be really similar care to your blastos.

I'd be curious to see a pic too.

Is something picking at them? The are a favorite of reef safe with caution type fish, like angels.

OP
OP
D

DavidRZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this Micromussa lordhowensis, AKA what we used to call Acan Lords, or something else? That would be really similar care to your blastos.

I'd be curious to see a pic too.

Is something picking at them? The are a favorite of reef safe with caution type fish, like angels.
I have tangs and just added a flameback angel and radiant wrasse yesterday. I don't suspect anything is picking at them, this was happening before the angel was added.

And yes, these are the lodhowensis variety. I'll see if I can get a picture.

OP
OP
D

DavidRZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully these are clear enough to see where the coral is dying.

Attachments

• Micro1.jpg
    Micro1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Micro2.jpg
    Micro2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 36

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed them lps pellets, but before I bought the specific pellets I used any sinking pellet. One pellet dropped right in the senter, then I'd watch it eat.

I'd suggest dropping something that won't blow away quickly, shortly after you feed the rest of the tank. The general feeding will get the response started in the micro lords. I like the pellets because they stay put while they unfold the feeders.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back