OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a normal system you would get 0 on silicates test. If there are silicates diatoms for example would appear quickly. That is why silicates dosing working for Amphidinium Dinos. Diatoms replicate faster than Dinos and takes over their surface. When dinos gone you stop dosing silicates and the diatoms go in about 2 weeks as silicates is especial to their reproduction
Thank you for your input! The reason I was testing though is because I was told usually for Chrysophytes there are elevated silicates. I’m trying hard to get as close as I can to 100% confirmation that these are chrysophytes so I can completely switch my previous plan of attack with the dirty tank method to running GFO and cleaning the tank up a bit to beat chrysophytes.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input! The reason I was testing though is because I was told usually for Chrysophytes there are elevated silicates. I’m trying hard to get as close as I can to 100% confirmation that these are chrysophytes so I can completely switch my previous plan of attack with the dirty tank method to running GFO and cleaning the tank up a bit to beat chrysophytes.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you remove some of the gunk from the tank, does it hold together as gelatinous goop? Brown with a hint of orange?Sorry for the technical terms.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you remove some of the gunk from the tank, does it hold together as gelatinous goop? Brown with a hint of orange?Sorry for the technical terms.
Yes it’s only on my rock and I scrub it off with a dish scrubber. Then it floats around the water column in clumps of goop that I suction out into a 5 micron filter sock in my sump.

OP
OP
Ober_Reef

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t be certain but the chrysophyte growth does seem to be slowing just a little on its own. I am also going to try a method I found in a couple other Chrysophyte threads. I scrubbed and vacuumed for over and hour yesterday and did it again today, after the scrub I started running GFO and plan to remove it after 24 hours and then do a 20% water change. From what I have read it works by reducing silicates rapidly. I am hoping for success!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t be certain but the chrysophyte growth does seem to be slowing just a little on its own. I am also going to try a method I found in a couple other Chrysophyte threads. I scrubbed and vacuumed for over and hour yesterday and did it again today, after the scrub I started running GFO and plan to remove it after 24 hours and then do a 20% water change. From what I have read it works by reducing silicates rapidly. I am hoping for success!
I think my gunk is similar to yours. I have not tried GFO against them, but I would keep an eye on your phosphate levels.
I cannot rule out an Si connection, but will say my levels are/were not "out of range" high or low with this gunk in bloom. Keep us informed.

SI-GROUPANALYSISSETPOINT
SiSILICON124 µg/l0 - 200 µg/l

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some combination of:
a) slightly reducing nutrients from 15/.15 to 5/.07 nitrates to phosphates
b) 1/2 dose of Vibrant weekly
c) Phyto dosing every other day or so

My coralline is back, and the gunk is largely gone in my display.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.8%
Back