Midas Blenny and Bicolor drama

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Bicolor and Midas in a 40. There’s a ton of rock work and room for them. Here’s the confusing part they spend at least 80% of the day mutually respecting each other. At night they share the same rock to perch and sleep on, they eat without aggression, but for whatever reason randomly my Midas will chase the Bicolor. He never nips or hurts my bicolor he chases, and often he catches the bicolor and the bicolor turns sideways like it accepts death and the Midas does nothing. So is this true aggression or a dominance thing? Is this possibly playful? My bicolor never shows signs of stress, at least that is noticeable. Color is ok, appetite is ok, fins are great, he’s growing and happy. I just wanna know why randomly they stop being friends and turn into angry brothers. Any suggestions or ideas would help.

Edit: before someone says it’s hostile or bad for both fish as I type this they’re literally side by side on the same rock just staring and breathing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I have a Bicolor and Midas in a 40. There’s a ton of rock work and room for them. Here’s the confusing part they spend at least 80% of the day mutually respecting each other. At night they share the same rock to perch and sleep on, they eat without aggression, but for whatever reason randomly my Midas will chase the Bicolor. He never nips or hurts my bicolor he chases, and often he catches the bicolor and the bicolor turns sideways like it accepts death and the Midas does nothing. So is this true aggression or a dominance thing? Is this possibly playful? My bicolor never shows signs of stress, at least that is noticeable. Color is ok, appetite is ok, fins are great, he’s growing and happy. I just wanna know why randomly they stop being friends and turn into angry brothers. Any suggestions or ideas would help.
territorial sounds more like it to add hierarchy which marine fish often display

OP
OP
Hoodstream

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
territorial sounds more like it to add hierarchy which marine fish often display
Would you recommend continuing to monitor or separate? Would hate for the bicolor to get hurt but it’s been a couple weeks and they still share the same rock and often perch together.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would you recommend continuing to monitor or separate? Would hate for the bicolor to get hurt but it’s been a couple weeks and they still share the same rock and often perch together.
Monitor at this point . As soon as anything poses a red flag- separate

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit: before someone says it’s hostile or bad for both fish as I type this they’re literally side by side on the same rock just staring and breathing.
I think they are playing cops and robbers. ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back