MIGHT HAVE DOSED TOO MUCH KALCWASSSER! HELP

the bomb

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2024
Messages
191
Reaction score
40
Location
milton Georgia
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals look like they are covered in micas and water is cloudy what do I do?

IMG_1677.jpeg IMG_1676.jpeg
 
Did you dose the powder or did you make up a concentrated liquid? How much did you dose? Hope big is your tank?
 
I dosed the powder any idea what those corals are doing?
I would never dose Kalwasser powder directly to a tank. That seems way too risky.

Always dose a premixed liquid (or use a kalk stirrer) and know how much you are adding and have a rough idea of the effect will be on Ph and Alk.

I'm not sure how much PH is affected by each 100mls or so has on a 50 gallon tank for example but there are probably calculators out there. Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley would know.

As for the Alk effect, I use the Kalkulator from Avast Marine: https://www.avastmarine.com/pages/kalkulator
 
You likely spiked your PH too high and\or the kalk powder settled onto the corals irritating them. Have you measured your ph?
 
Agree, never add kalk powder directly (IMO). Dissolve in RO/DI and add it very slowly.

Likely everything is fine because the precipitate you see lowers the pH and the alk/calcium that was added.

Unless pH is very high (above 8.6), there's nothing beneficial to do, and pH rarely stays high after kalk overdose (done it myself multiple times and got much cloudier water than that).

I'll remove the emergency tag.
 
I wouldn't stress it too much...Kalk will drop off pretty quickly after the Initial PH spike. I would be a little more careful in the future.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new