Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an amazing tank.
Thank You so much AND it is great to see you back!

are you still using a refugium or are you just on the scrubber now?
We have a very small refugium sitting inside our frag tank. The plan is to eventually remove it.

I can't seem to get a definitive answer when it comes to algae scrubbers....some swear by it, others will flame you just for bring up the subject! I assume you are using the scrubber in conjunction with a skimmer and reactor. I know it's early on in the break-in period for your scrubber, but can you see any difference in your coral growth or color (not like you need any help in that area anyway!) Or have you noticed a drop in PO4 readings or nitrate levels?
It grows algae much faster than we can produce in our refugium, so there is at least some benefit. We're not at a point where we can really answer your questions with any concrete evidence as the scrubber has just started to really kick into high gear.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought we'd share a quick video Terry took with her iPhone today:

[video=youtube_share;RVugFQmCM7w]http://youtu.be/RVugFQmCM7w[/video]

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some new guys. I spotted a semifasciatus pair and a Choati, :), how are the other leopards with her, especially the Kuiteri?

Was there some egg crate separating someone?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more, I've been saving them up, ha ha! How are the tinkers and lemon peel behaving with corals?

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love your tank. Just amazing. Watched the video and it looks like there is a egg crate separating two sides. Is that correct ?

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some new guys. I spotted a semifasciatus pair and a Choati, :), how are the other leopards with her, especially the Kuiteri?

Was there some egg crate separating someone?

Good eyes, Brett! There is a trio of semifasciatus (large male and 2 females) and of course the tiny Choati female. We lost our M. kuiteri a few months back (old age) - he had been in captivity for 5.5 years. The two female M. bipartitus leopard wrasses were calm while she was in the acclimation box for a week, but went crazy with chasing and stalking once she was released. We were ready to pull the 2 females out when the male M. bipartitus decided he had had enough. He started guarding the choat's and went after the two females with a vengeance and put them in their place. All are getting along swimmingly now.

One more, I've been saving them up, ha ha! How are the tinkers and lemon peel behaving with corals?

And to answer your question about the partition, We put it in last night to help us remove the C. flavissima (AKA Coral-Muncher) - and not just any coral, no siree, just high-end acropora, LOL! Anyway, she was on the right side of the tank when the lights went out last night. Imagine my surprise when I woke up to her greeting me on the left side of the tank this morning, grrrrhhhhh...

Anyway, she has become increasingly worrisome since we lost our extra large and "in charge" male Bellus as she is now able to "park" and take her time perusing the all-day-coral buffet.

-Terry

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your tank. Just amazing. Watched the video and it looks like there is a egg crate separating two sides. Is that correct ?

Thank You! And yes, there is a temporary egg crate partition in there. :bigsmile:

Last edited:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the kuiteri, the tank is looking amazing as always. Good luck catching the little monster!

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the kuiteri, the tank is looking amazing as always. Good luck catching the little monster!

I was thankful that I was able to pull the kuiteri out of the display before his demise so that the cleanup crew couldn't get to him. I knew he was on borrowed time, but it was still hard to lose him.

As for our little "monster", we need all the luck we can get, LOL! We had to move quite a few acros to the frag tank to keep them safe, LOL.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOOT, WOOT! The C. flavissima is finally out of the tank! :dance:

The partition helped, but we still had to pull out most of the rock work on the left side. Rock is back in place, gonna take a while to get the corals back in and arranged, but life is good! :bigsmile:

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew! Sounds like quite the project to get that guy out of there! All is good now...

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it was quite the ordeal. I suppose on a positive note, it has provided us with an opportunity to make some changes to the rock work on the left side.

Excuse the poor quality iPhone pic, but here's where we are:

IMG_1431.jpg

Now to just get the corals moved back over. :bigsmile:

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jkirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through your whole thread from start to finish, quite the amazing journey so far!

Laser

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank and coral growth you have achieved in 3 years! Great job..:israel:

Vw reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been awhile since I checked in on this thread and I have to saw wow this tank has come a long way. Great work guys. Truly inspirational. Can't wait for my new tank to come in.

Defect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked through the thread. Great looking tank. One of these days I will get a nice size tank.......as soon as I am out of SF! Thanks fr sharing.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through your whole thread from start to finish, quite the amazing journey so far!
We've definitely had some ups and downs, but we just try to take it one day at a time... Thanks so much for taking the time to read and post in our thread - very much appreciated!
Amazing tank and coral growth you have achieved in 3 years! Great job..:israel:
Thank You!

Just looked through the thread. Great looking tank. One of these days I will get a nice size tank.......as soon as I am out of SF! Thanks fr sharing.
Thanks so much for the compliment and for taking the time to post in our thread!

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 42.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 127 48.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.2%
Back