OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful reef, Mike and Terry! And brilliant photography skills for capturing it to boot. I love the recent Tinker's picture you posted. I hope you don't mind that I shared it on the Saltwater Smarts Facebook page. It's a great shot!

Thank You so much! And we don't mind at all...

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought we'd share a picture update...

Chris Aldrich

Caribbean Chris @ Saltwater Smarts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome shots, Mike & Terry! I had to share the C. truncatus picture on our FB page. It's begging for a caption. :wink:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how I missed the last round of pics. They are absolutely stunning!! :)

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the name of the second little guy here? I don't recall ever seeing one before. Love it!
Hi Jacky, the 2nd pic is of our female Genicanthus bellus angelfish.
Awesome shots, Mike & Terry! I had to share the C. truncatus picture on our FB page. It's begging for a caption. :wink:
Thank You! Yes, it is begging for a caption, LOL.

I don't know how I missed the last round of pics. They are absolutely stunning!! :)

Great shots!!!!!

Thanks so much Brett, Krista and Andy!

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Trapezia's gravitate to pocillopora, stylophora (larger colonies), and seriatopora (in that order). They don't seem to care for hanging out in Acro colonies. I'll have to see if I can get a pic of the Trapezia that resides in the large pocillopora that sits on the front right side of the tank. :bigsmile:

-Terry

I don't ever see mine out. The only way to see them is to search the back of the reef with a flashlight

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't ever see mine out. The only way to see them is to search the back of the reef with a flashlight

This is an old pic, but shows one of our Trapezia sp. crabs in a Pocillopora sp. colony that resides on the front right side of the tank. He's at least double that size now, LOL.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's a beautiful fish! Thank you!

And that is a gorgeous picillopora! I hope mine grows up to be so beautiful :D

Went shopping on LA today and picked up a couple of acros. Wouldn't you know they were out if stock on those crabs lol... I have been trying to get some for a long, long time!

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That choati looks great. Was it hard to get eating? Did you get it locally?

Sorry for the delayed reply... The choati came from Kevin Kohen at LiveAquaria and had been in his personal tank for 6 months. We were lucky as she was well adjusted to tank life and eating anything we offered.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought we would share an overdue update on our reef, starting with the bad news first...

A couple of weeks ago, one of our detritus eating sea cucumbers released toxin and we ended up losing 3 fish (C. loricula, C. cf lanceolatus, and G. bellus). We had been out that morning when it happened and came home to find the Flame Angel dead (it hadn't been very long as his eyes were still clear and the cleanup crew hadn't found him). We removed him and immediately noticed that several other fish were not looking good - our two Earl's Fairy Wrasses were sitting on the sand bed in one of the caves, our Regal was hiding and looking stressed and the Desjardini was not acting like himself. We also noticed that the cf. lanceolatus wrasse and Bellus angelfish were missing. It did not take long to figure out what happened. We did a large water change and added (2) Phosban 550 reactors full of ROX carbon to the sump and then went hunting for the missing fish. It took about an hour, but we found the wrasse dead and the Bellus barely alive. We followed up with 2 more water changes over a 36 hour period while we anxiously waited to see if the remaining affected fish would recover and thankfully they did. None of our corals or cleanup crew were affected.

Now for the good news... We've been playing with our Panasonic DMC-TS3 camera and shot some underwater video which gives a different perspective of our reef.

[video=youtube;VQMHrpBxUYM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQMHrpBxUYM[/video]

falconerr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your losses. Hope things get better. Love the new video and the past pics. Also yes I need to come by for a visit just been super busy.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful reef!
Looks like you have been running led for approximately a year now, what are your current opinions on growth and color under led, especially in regard to acros & stylos?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved the video, I watched it a few times already lol!

I'm sorry you went through that, wow :(

How do you know the cucumber did it? Curious because i too have a cucumber (yellow) and he's been slower to get around lately. Then something happened. My juvenile orange shoulder who was very active and well was belly up in just a few hours... then my kole came up sick. They had huge bellies and that was all that looked different. Plus I've had snails dropping like flies. Parameters are all good. So when you said your cuc did that to your tank it made me think in other directions.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your losses. Hope things get better. Love the new video and the past pics. Also yes I need to come by for a visit just been super busy.
Thank You! Your "goody box" will be here when you are ready... :smile:

Beautiful reef!
Looks like you have been running led for approximately a year now, what are your current opinions on growth and color under led, especially in regard to acros & stylos?
Thank You! That is a good question. From our observations the growth rate under our LED's seems comparable to 14K MH's and faster than what we observed under 20K's. Stylophora pistillata with pink coloration will keep their color lower in the tank than they did when we ran MH's. I should also mention we run our tank at a lower temp than most folks (75 F avg.) which does impact growth rates, but we're fine with that - less pruning.

Absolutely stunning
Thank You so much! We are big fans of your reef!

Loved the video, I watched it a few times already lol!

I'm sorry you went through that, wow :(

How do you know the cucumber did it? Curious because i too have a cucumber (yellow) and he's been slower to get around lately. Then something happened. My juvenile orange shoulder who was very active and well was belly up in just a few hours... then my kole came up sick. They had huge bellies and that was all that looked different. Plus I've had snails dropping like flies. Parameters are all good. So when you said your cuc did that to your tank it made me think in other directions.

Thank You Jackie!
From your description, it is doubtful that the sea cucumber is involved. Our fish that died looked perfectly healthy and none of the snails were affected. The bloated belly could be a sign of inflammation due to some type of bacterial infection or perhaps roundworms or other internal parasite. Have you asked Humblefish in the Fish Disease forum his thoughts? I hope you are able to figure it out.

Detritus eating sea cucumbers rarely release toxin and when they do, it's due to injury or severe stress from being picked at. We found that our oldest sea cucumber (he's been with us since 2003) had maneuvered itself into some really tight space in our rock work - they have an insane ability to restructure their bodies to fit into really small, tight spaces. Our rock structures have solid bases with fiberglass rods that hold the rocks in place and while strong, their is a small bit of flexibility in the rods. We believe the cucumber more than likely caused a small shift between rocks, got wedged in (perhaps injured) and reacted by expelling a portion of it's gut and hence the toxin which we found and removed.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow you guys know how much I love your tank! Great video!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 106 43.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 117 47.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.3%
Back