OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok how about now forget flicker and Photobucket just use good old R2R :)
Screenshot_20170705-063305.png

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike,
Thank you so much for sharing your tank. It is an inspiration and a reminder that not all tanks need to be SPS to be stunning. I've gone through a similar situation as you did, with my tank crashing at the end of last year. Since then my tank has been in a some what limbo state as I've been gun shy to put all of the money back in that I once had. Unfortunately my job takes me away from my family and tank for extended periods and it can leave the maintenance up to my wife. She does the best she can, but it is my hobby and I know that I has put her through the ringer when things have gone south and I'm not home.
Needless to say I came to the conclusion that maybe a Softy tank would be a much better alternative to the SPS/LPS headache that I've had for the last 8 years. It has been so long since I've shopped for softies, I don't know where to start. LOL. I would like to just get back to my wife and I just enjoying the tank and having a healthy environment for my fish.
My questions to you, if you had to start over what would you have done differently? Would you have planted your Corals in a different order (I.e. Leather and gorg. Before fast spreading corals such as Xenia or symposiums that can smother and cover)? Which coral has been the big pain? With your feeding methods to you find you can retain and grow some NPS Corals? And what type of clean up crew do you incorporate in your tank?
Thanks for your time and sharing your experiences

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Shawn first let me say thank you for your compliments on my tank and I'm glad it inspires you to do something different.

For your first question of what I would do differently? To be honest not much at all. I am very happy with the method that I went with while setting up this tank and also the placement of my Coral. Things like Xenia, mushrooms stuff like that spreads easily I like to put on a rock all by itself to isolate it until the tank is well established. This way other corals are placed where I want them. Placement is always a learning game as far as flow lighting and rock work.

For your second question yes Xenia can be a "pain coral"LOL but I have found a lovely giant pom-pom Xenia that basically grows on one stalk and do does not spread so that I would recommend ;)

Third:as far as retaining some NPS Coral with my feeding methods yes "key word some" lol. You see I don't make it a habit if a coral don't survive to go out and purchase another one right away so that's why I say some I'm not really sure if it's not getting fed? How old it was? What the health of it was? There is a lot in question and so many coral to choose from.

And for the last question I'm not a big fan of a clean up crew and believe in the theory that everything poops. I will post a diagram if I can find it which explains it a little bit easier. I tell you the one thing I will always have in my tank is a one spot foxface fish they are great for cleaning the rocks.
Screenshot_20170901-133052.jpg

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between your lobo and clam at the bottom below the trupet coral whats the red polyps? Is it a gonni? Looks a little diferent.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one is the "giant pom-pom Xenia" and could you isolate it with a photo and tell us what it is called and where you got it?

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yesss.. I was looking for your thread after finding your youtube channel. Following the thread!

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you share your photography skills? Awesome reef shots.
Thank you
Camera settings
1.Phone is a Samsung S7
2.Set camera to Pro mode
3.Set the Appratur to 1/90
4.Set the ISO to 50
5.WB to 10000k
6.Use Auto focus

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mike, Mike, Mike....

I soooooo love this reef tank.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, I'm trying to figure out my lighting on my softie tank. I run Orphek LEDs, do you have any idea what your getting for PAR or LUX at the waters surface at the peak of your lighting cycle?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back