MikeC's SOFTY TANK

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My my my my LAWD I love this tank! Any new updated full tank shots?

exonn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank, right now am on the edge of going out of the hobby or stay in and convert my sps dominated reef to softies, i have identical situation as yours, my tank is crashing and i don't want to do sps once again and have all that stress. I came here to see some good looking softies tanks to convince my self to stay in hobby. Yours looks really good so i think i'll give it a try and convert my tank to softies.

glweek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id take a flowing/moving softy tank over a "cool" "respected" sps tank any day of the week. If your ok with paying more for a frag than i did on my used 99 civic, your not in this hobby for the right reasons.

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank, right now am on the edge of going out of the hobby or stay in and convert my sps dominated reef to softies, i have identical situation as yours, my tank is crashing and i don't want to do sps once again and have all that stress. I came here to see some good looking softies tanks to convince my self to stay in hobby. Yours looks really good so i think i'll give it a try and convert my tank to softies.
Thanks exon I would say go for it and relax and enjoy you tank ;)

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id take a flowing/moving softy tank over a "cool" "respected" sps tank any day of the week. If your ok with paying more for a frag than i did on my used 99 civic, your not in this hobby for the right reasons.
I agree 100% some of these prices are comical

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup.

I've always run SPS reefs and am contemplating running my latested smaller reef as a mixed tank. Its been up since the beginning of December so I have some time to think about what I am going to do. While I love SPS it'd be nice to have some movement and diversity in the tank for once, especially on a smaller scale where the organisms can be appreciated.

Great job!

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mark Donohue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size and company is is this tank. Also glass or acrylic? Ireally love the look of this tank and would love to make one of the same size.

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few people have been asking about the setteling tank.
I did not come up with the settling tank idea.
This concept I do believe originated from aqua phonics where they have fish in a pond and use the Detritus for fertilizer for the plants and vegetables .
Same concept but I choose to throw the fertilizer away LOL

I made a video man it is amazing how you sound so funny on your own videos lol!but I hope it helps.
[/QUOTE]

stscream4187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few people have been asking about the setteling tank.
I did not come up with the settling tank idea.
This concept I do believe originated from aqua phonics where they have fish in a pond and use the Detritus for fertilizer for the plants and vegetables .
Same concept but I choose to throw the fertilizer away LOL

I made a video man it is amazing how you sound so funny on your own videos lol!but I hope it helps.
[/QUOTE]

Wow, awesome. Thanks for posting. This is exactly what I want to set up in my basement.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MikeC's SOFTY TANK

I must say I couldn’t be happier with my decision to convert to softies.

After having my sps dominant tank for 2 years and loosing it to flatworms :( needles to say I was pretty bummed out.
I made up my mind to start over with a upgrade(because that was the excuse I had lol ) and also a Qt tank.

That was all set up and chugging along with some wonderful help from my fellow reefers that provided me with great frags to get me back on my feet(Thank you all you know who you are;).
Unfortunately one night RTN set in:(

All the while I still had some LPS and zoos that made the transfer and everyone that saw the tank being re-created always mentioned what wonderful movement my gonipora had and didn’t seem to notice the sps with the new growth lol.

Now I understand that the novices would say that but the truth was I enjoyed the movement so much better myself and I think I was caught up in the Social Stigma that soft corals are for beginners, easy and not taken seriously amongst the “real reefers”
Now don’t get me wrong i love and respect a well maintained sps tank but Im also not embarrassed to say Im proud of my non stresful Softy tank ;)

Hope you enjoy the photos AND MY WORK IN PROGRESS.
I would also love to hear from other soft coral lovers.

a1_zpsfafo7s4q.jpg

a2_zpsivbqqyat.jpg

a3_zpsjvjfvftt.jpg

10_zpsepru5vlb.jpg

12_zpsvtntbrtz.jpg

7_zpsf0msr2td.jpg

8_zpsu1ldrkhl.jpg

11_zpsoxguy8oa.jpg

9_zpsfgbjljzu.jpg

3_zpsifnqt5up.jpg

5_zpsfdadabjp.jpg

1_zpszkopl2cq.jpg

2_zps2tpjmxzz.jpg

6_zpsufg80ep1.jpg

4_zps7hocucp1.jpg

13_zpsttpsdnwd.jpg

a4_zpslughbkua.jpg
Hope to

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is what I hope mine looks like some day! Do you supplement with anything?

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MikeC's SOFTY TANK

I must say I couldn’t be happier with my decision to convert to softies.

After having my sps dominant tank for 2 years and loosing it to flatworms :( needles to say I was pretty bummed out.
I made up my mind to start over with a upgrade(because that was the excuse I had lol ) and also a Qt tank.

That was all set up and chugging along with some wonderful help from my fellow reefers that provided me with great frags to get me back on my feet(Thank you all you know who you are;).
Unfortunately one night RTN set in:(

All the while I still had some LPS and zoos that made the transfer and everyone that saw the tank being re-created always mentioned what wonderful movement my gonipora had and didn’t seem to notice the sps with the new growth lol.

Now I understand that the novices would say that but the truth was I enjoyed the movement so much better myself and I think I was caught up in the Social Stigma that soft corals are for beginners, easy and not taken seriously amongst the “real reefers”
Now don’t get me wrong i love and respect a well maintained sps tank but Im also not embarrassed to say Im proud of my non stresful Softy tank ;)

Hope you enjoy the photos AND MY WORK IN PROGRESS.
I would also love to hear from other soft coral lovers.

a1_zpsfafo7s4q.jpg

a2_zpsivbqqyat.jpg

a3_zpsjvjfvftt.jpg

10_zpsepru5vlb.jpg

12_zpsvtntbrtz.jpg

7_zpsf0msr2td.jpg

8_zpsu1ldrkhl.jpg

11_zpsoxguy8oa.jpg

9_zpsfgbjljzu.jpg

3_zpsifnqt5up.jpg

5_zpsfdadabjp.jpg

1_zpszkopl2cq.jpg

2_zps2tpjmxzz.jpg

6_zpsufg80ep1.jpg

4_zps7hocucp1.jpg

13_zpsttpsdnwd.jpg

a4_zpslughbkua.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back