MikeC's SOFTY TANK

Mikefromaz01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this tank is very nice indeed! I am hosting a mixed stony and softer tank going on two years. It does seem every time something goes wrong, the softies seem to fare better than the LPS. The possibilities with softies seems a lot to investigate....like the idea.

Vinh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

I'm new and working on softy\LPS tank as well. Was considering Xenia but got scared off by all the horror stories. How do you keep the Xenia in check?

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

I'm new and working on softy\LPS tank as well. Was considering Xenia but got scared off by all the horror stories. How do you keep the Xenia in check?
Thank you for your compliments I keep my Xenia on a branch rock facing up only grows up ;)

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a cool softy tank! This is the third softy tank I've seen thus far and it inspired me to place a softy order! Nothing too common, some of the nicer stuff like a chili. I have a large purple corky finger which is real nice looking. I know they spread like weeds but I love pulsing pom pom xenias. I have them on the back wall.

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much everyone !
I appreciate the positive feedback ;)

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great? That tank looks amazing. Absolutely gorgeous.Love to know what your upkeep schedule is. Congrats

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great? That tank looks amazing. Absolutely gorgeous.Love to know what your upkeep schedule is. Congrats
I change 40 gallons every two weeks, 30 gallons gets drained from the settling tank and 10 gallons gets siphoned from the display tank. I do not run GFO. I clean my glass every two or three days. The skimmer cup is cleaned every two days.

I use a turkey baster at night to blow off my rocks at least three times a week. This puts the detritus up into the water column and also helps feeds my coral at night. I run carbon and change it out every two weeks. I use Coral Life salt and dose ESV two part through two BRS dosers. I also dose kalkwasser at night strictly to keep pH up. The auto-top-off is filled when needed.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back