MikeC's SOFTY TANK

Cayenne1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike,

A great tank that must have taken a lot of work. Could you provide more background like from this featured softy tank in Nano-reef.com - http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/_/2014/ziareefer-r81

I've found the write ups on their tanks of the month very helpful and show off the tanks and the work involved even more.

Thanks

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful tank, what bulbs are you using? this tank reminds me of the plenum system tank in Michael Paletta's Ultimate Marine Aquarium book.
Thank you Lingrshark I am using ATI bulbs and my combo is
Blue+
Actinic
AquaBlue Special
Blue+
LED's at 30% max
Purple+
Coral+
Actinic
Blue+
I basically ramp up for 2hr max for 5 ramp down for 2
I also have 2 Blue Reef Brights one on each end I use for Blue viewing at night for a few hours.

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind posting your maintenance routine?
Thank you Jizu

My maintenance consists of every 2-3 days glass cleaning (If my glass is cleaner for longer than that I know I need to feed more lol)
Every two weeks a 40gal(I don't like the term "Water Change") I prefer "detritus siphoning" or "detritus removal" which is IMOP is a better goal to focus on than just a water change.
Occasionally on the off week I mite do A 5gal "detritus siphon" of the DT if I feel it is necessary and or building up.
My flow is set up so it collects in one area of the DT, I guess it would be better if it all made its way out to the settling tank but for now Im just happy it is in one area and i can get it out lol

I also have a conical settling tank that helps out a lot.
This is were my main detritus settles and were I do my water drain from.

This is my sump room under and behind the tank.
Sumproom_zps16aa9214.jpg

This is a close up of the 40gal settling tank if you look close I think you can see the detritus in the tank.
This basically drains from the DT to this tank with a centrifical flow so detritus settles to the bottom to be later drained and what is left rises to the top and overflows into the 75 gal sump to be skimmed (SRO5000) than back to the DT
FEC1F8A9-806B-4D19-BF02-69066F5A4F29_zps8m6h5azt.jpg

Carbon reactor changed every 2 weeks.
I also dose esv alk & calk
I use CoralLife salt
My numbers last time I checked were
Ca 460
Alk 8.2
Mag 1450
I test my pO4 by checking my glass every three days if its dirty and needs to be cleaned Im good ;)

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice tank.. Reminds me of my early days in the hobby. I myself am setting up a new tank and am thinking of going more soft corals again, I miss it. I have always had lots of gorgonia being one of my favorite corals anyways. But anyway that is a very nice tank....

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Tank! I too have switched to softies.. phase 1 was bulk florida and yuma rics... now my next step is leathers then gorgs once the tank matures a bit longer... Big problem is I can't find anyone online who has a nice, affordable leather collection. PM me vendor please if you happened to get most of yours from one place.

Gorgs will be easy to get from one place.... but nice leathers have been tough
Thanks Rob
I get most of my stuff from one or two local shops that no one seems to take notice of there softie tanks or maybe they do and thats why they get new stuff from time to time lol, ether way some from there and some from local reefers Im finding there are a few softy reefers around my aria.
I guess I'm fortunate to have never needed to ordered coral on line.

jlugo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow..... Just WOW!!! That's my point.... you don't need a dominated SPS tank to have a admirable aquarium. For me.. this a complete piece of ocean in a house!

Rabbit1298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to this site. Hope to be able to get/give advice to help myself and others. I too am a big fan of a soft tank. And I must say love your tank.

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to a gorgonia dominant with some softies over two years ago and love it. You have a beautiful tank and amazing color.
Thank you
I don't like brown coral and never understood why when you usually see a softy tanks it consists of allot of brown coral?
I like to look at my tank and say I need something red or yellow would be nice to go in that spot and then coral shop from there.

I like this thread also
Once you have your aquascape done, then what? The rock work needs to have flow and correct composition of color introduced. Coral placement is just as important, if not more important then rock work. You need to throw the viewers eye where you want it. One big thing to remember is you do not want a group of green, a group of red and, a group of blue. You have to pretend you cannot touch the same color together. If you have two red coral then place one of the far left and on on the right. The trick is to throw the color throughout the tank. That is one rule for contrast and composition. One thing also is keep in mind where you want the viewers eye to gravitate. Keep that coral more alone and make sure to not have it clash with other colors. Having a bright red coral, surrounded by blue coral will make that coral pop and draw your eye to it. If you want to get very technical as if you were painting you can look at a color wheel.
486465_thumbnail_zps82149a23.jpg

Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-on-creating-amazing-aquascapes.97209/

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jizu

My maintenance consists of every 2-3 days glass cleaning (If my glass is cleaner for longer than that I know I need to feed more lol)
Every two weeks a 40gal(I don't like the term "Water Change") I prefer "detritus siphoning" or "detritus removal" which is IMOP is a better goal to focus on than just a water change.
Occasionally on the off week I mite do A 5gal "detritus siphon" of the DT if I feel it is necessary and or building up.
My flow is set up so it collects in one area of the DT, I guess it would be better if it all made its way out to the settling tank but for now Im just happy it is in one area and i can get it out lol

I also have a conical settling tank that helps out a lot.
This is were my main detritus settles and were I do my water drain from.

This is my sump room under and behind the tank.
Sumproom_zps16aa9214.jpg

This is a close up of the 40gal settling tank if you look close I think you can see the detritus in the tank.
This basically drains from the DT to this tank with a centrifical flow so detritus settles to the bottom to be later drained and what is left rises to the top and overflows into the 75 gal sump to be skimmed (SRO5000) than back to the DT
FEC1F8A9-806B-4D19-BF02-69066F5A4F29_zps8m6h5azt.jpg

Carbon reactor changed every 2 weeks.
I also dose esv alk & calk
I use CoralLife salt
My numbers last time I checked were
Ca 460
Alk 8.2
Mag 1450
I test my pO4 by checking my glass every three days if its dirty and needs to be cleaned Im good ;)
Pretty simple. I really like that conical detritus trap haha. What does that starfish of valves go to?

kathie2459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's beautiful!!! I'm a softie lover too! But had to leave for FL on a family emergency & had a friend from church watch my tank (he was experienced in freshwater) for over a month. I lost almost all my corals & my copper banded butterfly! One in particular was a huge mushroom leather that I've had since I started my tank (4 yrs ago!).

Your tank is gorgeous, keep doin' what you're doin'!!

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Kathie for your kind words.
Sorry to hear about your family emergency hope everything worked out. As far as your tank rebuild,rebuild rebiuld :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back